RE: [norse_course] Re: Lesson 3 Exercises

  • Christian Bartel
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2001
      Heill Ketill!

      Here with my keyboard there it isn't a problem just to press <`> immediatly
      all. This might be a special thing on german keyboards, have you ever tried
      that?

      Regards,
      Meldric

      > Yesterday I found out how to make accents over the vowels
      > by using the <Alt Gr> key on my PC keyboard. Do you have
      > an <Alt Gr> key on *your* keyboard? In that case, you can
      > save a lot of work typing in Icelandic and Old Norse texts,
      > because there is no need to remember all those <Alt> key
      > letter codes that you've been using thus far.
      >
      > On my keyboard the <Alt Gr> key is right next to the space bar,
      > That is, on its right hand side.
      >
      > Example: When you type á, you probably use <Alt> 0225.
      > But I only use "<Alt Gr> <´>" and then I simply press the <a> key
      > immediately afterwards.
      >
      > Another example: Type é first by pressing <Alt> 0233, and
      > then try the easier method of typing "<Alt Gr> <´>" first
      > and then the <e> key immediately afterwards.

      And never forget that help may come
      From the most unlikely of quarters
      And success rest upon the shoulders
      Of those kept shadowed until the time of need.

      -- The Remembrance (Clan Wolf), 222/6,11-14

      http://www.wolfshalle.de
      http://www.graifenklaue.de
      http://www.wolfguards.de

    • keth@online.no
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2001
        Heill Meldric!

        > Here with my keyboard there it isn't a problem just to press <`>
        immediatly
        key at
        > all. This might be a special thing on german keyboards, have you
        ever tried
        > that?

        Maybe the <Alt Gr> key is something that we only have in Norway(?)
        My keyboard is like this:

        qwertyuiopå^ [ Enter ]
        asdfghjkløæ' [ key. ]
        <zxcvbnm,.- [Shift key]
        [Ctrl][Win][Alt][Space][Alt Gr][Win][x][Ctrl]

        Most keys access only two chars/graphic signs.
        Typically "plain" and "shift".
        Example: "r" and "R".
        But some keys access three chars.
        Example: "e" , "E" and "€".
        Here "e" is obtained by pressing the <e> key only
        and doing nothing else ("plain" option).
        "E" is obtained by pressing <Shift> + <e> ("shift" option).
        And the strange character "€" (ecu?) is obtained by pressing
        <Alt Gr> + <e> ("alt gr" option).

        Another key that has 3 possibilities is the <^> key, that is
        to the right of <o><p><å>. This particular key has the 3
        options "^" , "¨" and "~" , that is: hat, umlaut and tilde.
        I can now try it out with the <e> key:
        <¨> + <e> gives "ë" , that is e-umlaut.
        <^> + <e> gives "ê" , that is e-hat.
        <~> + <e> gives "~e".
        I had expected the tilde to go on top of the "e".

        At any rate, the same method works to give umlauts and hats
        to all of the vowels:

        ä ë ï ö ü ÿ and â ê î ô û ^y.
        (the hat did not work with "y")

        Also, the tilde goes on top of *some* letters, but not all.
        Examples are: ñ õ ã ~i ~m ~e.

        The other key that I use for accents is the one to the
        right of 1234567890+, which is the <\> key.
        It gives "\" , "`" and "´". (plain, shift and 'alt gr').
        In combination with vowels it can give (example):
        á é í ó ú ý and à è ì ò ù `y, that is the 'alt gr'
        and the 'shift' series. But the "y" refused to take the
        accent grave.

        Any way, in this fashion I only need to use Alt + Number
        for ð and þ. (edh and thorn)
        On your German keyboard it is probably even easier than
        on mine. But I expect the idea is the same. I wonder
        what the Icelandic keyboard is like?

        Með kveðju Ketils.
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2001
          Katli var spurn:

          "I wonder what the Icelandic keyboard is like?"

          It's like this:

          °1234567890ö- [Backspace]
          qwertyuiopð' [Entere]
          asdfghjklæ´+ [Enter]
          <zxcvbnm,.þ [Shift]
          [Ctrl][Win][Alt][Space][Alt Gr][Win][x][Ctrl]

          To get accented vowels I push ´ + letter.

          ´ + a = á
          ´ + y = ý

          To get å I use the ° key.

          ° + a = å

          To get umlauts (other than ö) I use the same key
          but with shift.

          [Shift] + ° + a = ä

          The trick Keth uses to get û, ù and friends also
          works for me! I didn't know that - this makes
          writing French easier. Thank you!

          Is there any way to make a hooked c without resorting
          to the ASCII-code??

          Regards,
          Haukur

          P.S. What's the $ vs € rate today?