Question (Error?) -- Old Norse For Beginners

  • kunphuzil
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2005
      Exercise 3.3 of lesson 5 asks to translate

      "Ragnarr býðr Oddi ok mörgum víkingum at fara í bátinn."

      into English. First, I do not recognize this verb "býðr" and I don't
      know what its infitive is either. The solution to this exercise
      reveals that it should be translated as:

      "Ragnar asks Odd and many vikings to enter the boat."

      If this was meant to be "spyrr", would Oddr still be in Dative? I was
      not aware that the verb "spyrja" takes the Dative case.