Re: Looking for help constructing a sentance.

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 13, 2005
      > if varða has -a in first person singular, should it be varð in the
      > sentance or not? I'm unsure as you wrote it as varða.

      No, 'varða' is the form you want. The "first person singular" of a
      verb just means forms that go with "I".

      varða.....ek varða "I guard, watch, defend" (various other meanings)
      vernda....ek vernda "I protect, defend"

      verja.....ek ver "I defend" (various other meanings)

      hlífa.....ek hlífi "I protect, spare"

      The first two both belong to the same class of verbs as 'kalla'.
      These are easy to spot as Zoega's dictionary prints (að) after the
      head-word of a entry to show if it belongs to this class.

      http://norse.net.ru/ondict/zoega/index.html

      'verja' goes like 'spyrja'. (Coincidentally, 'ek varða' could also
      be the past tense of 'verja' and mean "I defended"!)

      'hlífa' goes like 'doema'. Well, I hope that's not too confusing.
      Please let us know if you have any more questions or if I've made a
      complete mess of explaining this.

      Llama Nom
    • johanniszwart
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 14, 2005
        > Well, I hope that's not too confusing.
        > Please let us know if you have any more questions or if I've made a
        > complete mess of explaining this.

        Well, I do not understand everything, but I don't have any more
        questions really. From the explenaitions and different meanings of the
        words I'm confident varða is the word I'm looking for.
        And with all the busyness on the forum, I take it everyone agrees on
        the sentance as it is right now.
        Thanks so much for helping me out forming the sentance, I really
        apreciate it a whole lot.
        I mean who would have thought someone in the year 2005 could help
        someone forming a sentance in an ancient language through the
        internet. Pretty strange if you think about it.

        I'll be sure to come back and show the results (if you're interested
        that is hehe)

        Cheers and thanks again,

        Johannis
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 15, 2005
          --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "johanniszwart" <jhpzwart@H...>
          wrote:

          > And with all the busyness on the forum, I take it everyone agrees on
          > the sentance as it is right now.

          Disclaimer. I must just say, for my own peace of mind, if nothing
          else: please bear in mind that I'm not at native speaker of
          Icelandic. If you want to be absolutely sure, you might want to get a
          second opinion before doing anything permanent?

          LN
        • johanniszwart
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 15, 2005
            > Disclaimer. I must just say, for my own peace of mind, if nothing
            > else: please bear in mind that I'm not at native speaker of
            > Icelandic. If you want to be absolutely sure, you might want to get a
            > second opinion before doing anything permanent?

            Not a bad Idea :) will do ^_^