Re: [norse_course] Re: Translation (= DE ykkt blóð, þreytast rekkar)

  • Patricia
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2005
      Best Wishes for the success of your move to London, Haukur, I lived there for many years, and Oh how I miss the British Museum
      Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 4:04 PM
      Subject: Re: [norse_course] Re: Translation (= DEykkt blóð, þreytast rekkar)

      Hi,

      We're moving to London and I haven't got much Internet time. Hope to get
      back to you on that spell :) - Haukur

      > Hi Noah,
      >
      > By some sinister synchronicity I came across this spell too just the
      > other day.  Here's what I (think I) understand of it; how well is
      > another matter.  In particular I'm unsure about the second line.
      > Hopefully someone better qualified can lend a hand...
      >
      > Þykkt blóð, þreytast rekkar.
      > Þjóð mörg vos öld bjóða,
      > grand heitt, gummar andast,
      > glatast auður, firrast snauðir.
      > Hætt grand hræðast dróttir
      > hríð mörg, vesöld kvíða,
      > angur vænt, ærnar skærur.
      > Illur sveimur nú er í heimi.
      >
      > Thick blood, men tire (i.e. become exhausted).
      > ? many people/nations............................?
      > Hot destruction, men (=gumar?) die,
      > wealth is lost, the poor are removed.
      > Perilous destruction folk dread
      > many storms, fear misery,
      > grief expected, plenty of skirmishes,
      > a bad tumult is now in the world.
      >
      > Is bjóða infinitive, or 3rd person plural (in which case who is the
      > subject?).  'vos öld' seems to parallel 'vesöld' "misery".  Could it
      > be a compound too?  Something like "foul weather" or "fatigue caused
      > by damp, cold weather"?  Or even an "age of cold"?  Or is this 'öld'
      > the singular of 'aldir', another poetic word for "people"--is it
      > that the people are being offered hardship from cold weather?  I
      > still don't quite get the grammar of this line.
      >
      > LLama Nom
      >

      > A Norse funny farm, overrun by smart people.

      > To escape from this funny farm try rattling off an e-mail to:

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Noah Halvorson
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 31, 2005
        Patricia wrote:

        > Best Wishes for the success of your move to London, Haukur, I
        > lived there for many years, and Oh how I miss the British Museum
        > Patricia

        THank you llama_nom for the translation!

        Best of luck, Haukur, on your relocation to London!