Maybe slightly off topic, but....

  • Reanna McFadden
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 11, 2005
      Allright guys, this might be slightly off topic, but it's been driving me insane.   :)   I've been trying to figure out what the hell the runic inscription says, but all I ended up with was TP_DRG_JTRLOO... Don't ask me how.  Either I am wayyyy off with this, or it says absolutely nothing (most likely).  It's kind of hard to tell what some of them even are, but maybe that's just my computer.  If you guys can help me out with this, I'd be grateful... thanks guys!
      Reanna

    • Patricia
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 12, 2005
        Nice to see someone awake, I thought they'd all gone away, there has been no sign of activity for a couple weeks, I could not open the attachment, else I would at least have tried to help
        Bless
        Sent: Friday, August 12, 2005 2:16 AM
        Subject: [norse_course] Maybe slightly off topic, but....

      • lgp477@up.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 12, 2005
          Patricia's virtual runestave said:

          > Nice to see someone awake, I thought they'd all gone away, there has been no sign of activity for a couple weeks, I could not open the attachment, else I would at least have tried to help

          Aha, so you *are* alive out there! I was all ready to email and see if the site was down or if I had been inadvertently kicked off the list...Freydis
        • Patricia
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 12, 2005
            Saell Freydis,
            Last I heard from anyone, was that Alan was going for a Holiday to Iceland, I have gotten rid of the envious greenish tinge to my skin and we might expect to see him back in September, I guess

            Sarah, hellooo you too will be welcome amd what about Llama Nom, did he go back to Tibet or what

            KveĆ°ja

            Sent: Friday, August 12, 2005 3:00 PM
            Subject: Re: [norse_course] Maybe slightly off topic, but....

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 13, 2005
              --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, Reanna McFadden
              <reanna_mcfadden@y...> wrote:
              > Allright guys, this might be slightly off topic, but it's been
              driving me insane. :) I've been trying to figure out what the
              hell the runic inscription says, but all I ended up with was
              TP_DRG_JTRLOO... Don't ask me how. Either I am wayyyy off with
              this, or it says absolutely nothing (most likely). It's kind of
              hard to tell what some of them even are, but maybe that's just my
              computer. If you guys can help me out with this, I'd be grateful...
              thanks guys!
              > Reanna

              Not off-topic at all, Reanna. But I just use the Norse Course
              website and don't get messages sent to me as emails, so I haven't
              seen the attachment either. Can you upload it into the files or
              photos section? Failing that, I'll have a go (for what that's
              worth) if you send it to directly to my email address. Do you know
              the source of the inscription? If so we might be able to track down
              a picture online, even an explanation. If there are no explanations
              on line, but you know where it's from, we could look it up in
              the "Concordance to the Runic Database" here [
              http://www.engebretsen.se/run-konk/index.html ] -- warning: huge PDF
              file -- and search for it using Rundata, the Samnordisk
              runtextdatabas [
              http://web.telia.com/~u13403587/rundata/pc/pc.htm ]. Don't be put
              off by the page of Swedish, the actual program uses English and
              offers translations of inscriptions in English. If the inscription
              is in the Elder Futhark, we could also check Runenprojekt Kiel [
              http://www.runenprojekt.uni-kiel.de ]. One day soon hopefully,
              we'll also have "An English Dictionary of Inscriptions in the
              Younger Futhark" at our disposal [
              http://runicdictionary.nottingham.ac.uk/index.php ]. If the
              inscription comes from Bryggen in Norway, it should be transcribed,
              or - if incomprehensible - at least catalogued, in here [
              http://www.nb.no/baser/runer/eindex.html ]. And who knows but it
              might be one of the many inscriptions analysed at Arild Hauge's site
              [ http://www.arild-hauge.com ].

              Llama Nom