Re: Greetings

    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 1, 2005
      Hello Lauren,

      In standardised Old Icelandic, Stjarna Gyðjudóttir "Star Goddess´s
      daughter". In Old Norse of the early 800´s this would look slightly
      different, maybe: Stiarna/Stearna? GyðjudóttiR (where the capital R
      may have been a palatal sound, part way between [r] and [Z] as in
      English "pleasure"). My main uncertainty is the diphthong /ia/
      or /ea/. The 9th century Rök runestone spells it <ia>. Using the
      letter <i> rather than <j> avoids the problem of deciding whether it
      was a falling or rising diphthong at this time. (Historically it
      changed from the former to the latter, according to Noreen before AD
      900.)

      But the more archaic form would be *stearna (earlier still *sterna <
      Proto-Norse *sternô). In favour of this are loanwords from Norse
      into English: Late Northumbrian 'dearf', Middle English 'derue' < ON
      *dearfR = Old Icelandic djarfr "brave" (see Gordon "Introduction to
      Old Norse" 229.3). The word appears on a later Swedish runestone,
      Husby-Lyhundra, as a personal name <tiarfR> (=diarfR). Other
      inscriptions have variously: tiarfr, tiarfR, terfs (genitive),
      tierf, tihrfR. Unfortunately I don't know how old each of these
      are. You might be able to track down more information with Google...

      http://www.dal.lu.se/runlex/pdf/lexikon.pdf
      http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/ONMensNames.htm

      So as a provisional guess maybe Stearna GyðjudóttiR, but I don't
      know much about the timing of these sound changes, so I could be
      wrong.

      Llama Nom

      --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "laurenmur913"
      <laurenmur913@y...> wrote:
      > Hello every one!
      > My name is Lauren and I am interested in researching all things
      viking
      > for my SCA persona. I am trying to translate my SCA name into old
      norse
      > and am not having any luck. I found this group by searching out
      old
      > norse language on yahoo. So here I am! I hope I have found the
      right
      > place.
      > My persona is early 800's swedish viking. I have chosen the Birka
      trade
      > township as my "persona origin". I have discovered that in that
      period
      > the swedish language had not even been developed yet and that
      pretty
      > much all the vikings were speaking old norse.
      > The name that I have been going by in the SCA is Stella
      Gudinnasdottir
      > which I choose to translate to mean Star Goddess Daughter. However
      > Stella is the Latin word for star. So here are the words I am
      trying to
      > translate: Star and Goddess.
      > I am greatful for any help you can give me on this and am looking
      > forward to learning more about the old norse language from the
      norse
      > course site!
      > Blessings!
      > Stella* )O(
    • laurenmur913
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 1, 2005
        Thank you,
        Wow, you know your stuff. As I mentioned, I am very new to this. Is
        there a way to write the last name out in a more english spelling?
        And could you also maybe spell it out phoneticly for me? I found some
        info on Stjarna, for star. I found a great site that even helps with
        the pronunciation. As for the characters, I do not recognize some of
        the ones you have provided so I am unsure how that would be said.
        Thank you for haveing patience for a Lay Person,
        Blessings,
        Lauren aka Stella aka Stjarna
        --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell@o...> wrote:

> [...]
        > right
        > > place.
        > > My persona is early 800's swedish viking. I have chosen the Birka
        > trade
        > > township as my "persona origin". I have discovered that in that
        > period
        > > the swedish language had not even been developed yet and that
        > pretty
        > > much all the vikings were speaking old norse.
        > > The name that I have been going by in the SCA is Stella
        > Gudinnasdottir
        > > which I choose to translate to mean Star Goddess Daughter.
        However
        > > Stella is the Latin word for star. So here are the words I am
        > trying to
        > > translate: Star and Goddess.
        > > I am greatful for any help you can give me on this and am looking
        > > forward to learning more about the old norse language from the
      • akoddsson
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 1, 2005
          Heil Llama and Lauren.

          > Hello Lauren,
          >
          > In standardised Old Icelandic, Stjarna Gyðjudóttir "Star Goddess´s
          daughter". In Old Norse of the early 800´s this would look slightly
          different, maybe: Stiarna/Stearna? GyðjudóttiR (where the capital R
          may have been a palatal sound, part way between [r] and [Z] as in
          English "pleasure"). My main uncertainty is the diphthong /ia/
          or /ea/. The 9th century Rök runestone spells it <ia>. Using the
          letter <i> rather than <j> avoids the problem of deciding whether it
          was a falling or rising diphthong at this time. (Historically it
          changed from the former to the latter, according to Noreen before AD
          900.)

          Correct. See below.

          > But the more archaic form would be *stearna (earlier still *sterna
          Proto-Norse *sternô). In favour of this are loanwords from Norse
          into English: Late Northumbrian 'dearf', Middle English 'derue' < ON
          *dearfR = Old Icelandic djarfr "brave" (see Gordon "Introduction to
          Old Norse" 229.3). The word appears on a later Swedish runestone,
          Husby-Lyhundra, as a personal name <tiarfR> (=diarfR). Other
          inscriptions have variously: tiarfr, tiarfR, terfs (genitive),
          tierf, tihrfR. Unfortunately I don't know how old each of these
          are. You might be able to track down more information with Google...

          > http://www.dal.lu.se/runlex/pdf/lexikon.pdf
          > http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/ONMensNames.htm
          >
          > So as a provisional guess maybe Stearna GyðjudóttiR, but I don't
          > know much about the timing of these sound changes, so I could be
          > wrong.

          Here is what happened here ;) :
          ea-to-ia before 900 (as above and as you show in your citations of
          9th cent. ON loanwords in OE)
          R-r 900 in west norse, but often much later in east (only 3, perhaps
          4, west norse inscritions contain R during the viking age, and they
          date to 800-900, variously - 1 from Oslo Åseberg ship, 1 from Jamta-
          land, 1 from Norse settlement in Ireland). Th Åseberg item contains
          R after a dental t/th/dh/d and is from around 800-830 linguistically
          I think (but see archeaological dating on this), whereas the Jamta-
          land example does not show R after a dental (where it disappeared at
          the same time, around 900, in Old Danish inscription). The R in the
          nom. dóttiR is an analogical formation, found in all nominatives of
          this declension in Danish inscription from 800 beyond 1000, such as
          fadiR módiR systiR bródiR dóttiR, but is not from Proto-Norse in
          this position (compare attested 'swestar' and Germanic languages on
          this in general). Incidentally, the PN for the name in question
          would be *sternô gudjôn dohtar (*sternô just as you have it). The
          masc. gudja is attested in PN, but show svarabhakti i or some kind
          of analagical Sievers in the inscription: gudija. ;) This word, of
          course, like its feminine equivalent, means 'priest'. It is not a
          personal name, but a title - thus, not surprisingly, the word does
          not occur as a personal name in inscription or latin-letter sources
          containing actual pre-christian norse personal names. ON stiarn is
          also extremely rare, if not non-existent, as an attested personal
          name in west-norse from pre-christian times (but I can check my name-
          database on this just to be sure; compare, however, Old Gutnish
          Hvîta-Stiarna in Guta Saga).

          ek gudja mathlarûnôz raist ;)

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 2, 2005
            --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "akoddsson"
            <konrad_oddsson@y...> wrote:

            > ea-to-ia before 900 (as above and as you show in your citations of
            > 9th cent.

            Do we have any indication as to how long before 900?

            > --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "laurenmur913"
            > <laurenmur913@y...> wrote:

            > Wow, you know your stuff.

            Don't be too sure of that! Konrad knows much more about this area
            than me.

            > As I mentioned, I am very new to this. Is
            there a way to write the last name out in a more english spelling?
            And could you also maybe spell it out phoneticly for me? I found some
            info on Stjarna, for star. I found a great site that even helps with
            the pronunciation. As for the characters, I do not recognize some of
            the ones you have provided so I am unsure how that would be said.

            The address here is a site with system for representing phonetic
            symbols with computers. This will probably seem MORE complicated at
            first, but at least it avoids the confusion and ambiguity of trying
            to indicate pronunciation of foreign sounds with English conventions.

            http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/home.htm

            Stjarna Gyðjudóttir
            Icelandic spelling. In this case, identical for Modern Icelandic
            and standardised Old Norse.
            1. Old Norse (13th c. reconstructed pronunciation)
            [stjarna gyDjUdo:ttIr]--[j] = English <y> in 'yes'; [y] = French <u>
            in 'fumer'; [U] = Northern British English <u> in 'gulp'; [o:] =
            German <o> in 'tot'; [i] = English <i> in 'bit'; vowels all keep
            their distinct quality, even in unstressed positions; and see
            further explanation below.
            2. Modern Icelandic [stjatna cIDjYtouhtIr]--explanation on demand!

            Stiarna GyþjudóttiR
            This I think is how the name might be transcribed if it had appeared
            in a Swedish runic inscription of the 9th century. The
            pronunciation would be similar to the Old Norse reconstructed one
            above, except that <ia> is a falling diphthong, that is with the
            emphasis on the first vowel <i>. The sampa symbol [D] is the sound
            modern Swedish or Italian. Think of English 'part-time'. I'm not
            sure of the exact quality of the unstressed vowels, but presumably
            something not too distant from this. According to
            Gordon's "Introduction to Old Norse", medieval Swedish manuscripts
            show a more careful system of vowel harmony than is usual in West
            Norse, but I'm not qualified to comment on that.

            The final <R> is somewhere between [r] and [Z], as mentioned. Maybe
            pronounced like the Czech 'r' with a little upsidedown 'v' on top.
            Or like the <s> in 'pleasure' but with a hint of [r]. Or like the
            final sound you might hear in some Scottish pronunciations of
            e.g. 'furs', 'hairs'. Of course, no one knows exactly, but there
            are clues in the way it affected nearby vowels (suggesting a palatal
            sound) and in the way it developed later, eventually becoming
            confused with /r/.

            To spell the name with English letters, you could go with either
            Gythju- or Gydju-. The former might be a good idea because it makes
            the sound clear to English speakers. The latter is perfectly
            acceptable though and unambiguous in terms of the Norse sound
            system. It's generally used in modern translations from Old Norse.
            In fact some medieval manuscripts use <d> where modern editions
            print <ð>. The marking of long vowels was very inconsistent in old
            manuscripts, and wasn't a feature of runic orthography of the 9th
            century. Konrad has suggested (for writing Proto Norse) using <z>
            for the phoneme usually transcribed as <R>. That's one possibility:
            Stiarna Gythjudottiz? Or if that looks too bizarre you could
            (anachronistically) use the later spelling and just remember that it
            was pronounced more like 'rz'. Or insist on runes... Speaking of
            which:

            http://www.arild-hauge.com/sruner.htm

            Llama Nom
          • laurenmur913
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 3, 2005
              Thank you again for all of your research! I am very greatful.
              You have made it easy to understand and also very interesting!
              The Society College of Heralds should have no problem passing my
              name. They require quite a bit of historical information in your name
              submission. With everything I have recieved here so far I think I am
              set.
              Many Thanks and Blessings,
              Stiarna Gythjudottir

            • meow63
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 18, 2006
                I am a writer and working on a book where the hero is a viking. I am
                researching the heritage and the language and wanted to know if there
                is anyone here who would be willing to be my guide in this? I would
                like to be able to ask questions concerning phrases and age/time
                related questions.

                He is from the Scandanavian Norway area and lived around the year 725AD
                I hope that someone will be willing to help me with this. Right now, I
                am looking for some phrases below.

                Good evening
                Rest Well
                Safe journey
                little one

                Thank you
                Mary Alice
                meow63@...
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 19, 2006

                  > Good evening........gott kveld; góðan aptan
                  > Rest Well...........sof vel! (= sleep well); hvíl vel!
                  > Safe journey........far heill!
                  > little one..........þú inn litli

                  Here are some suggestions, but I'm not infallible! I haven't seen any
                  examples of phrases like "good evening" in Old Norse. Where they ever
                  used as a greeting, I wonder? The typical all-purpose greeting
                  consists of variations of "heill!" or "heill þú!" or "vertu heill!",
                  meaning "be well".

                  Note: some of these word forms change depending on the gender of
                  whoever is being spoken to, and how many of them there are. The forms
                  above are those you'd find in a dictionary and are right for talking
                  to one male person. If one female person is addressed, you would
                  leave off the final -l of heill, thus: far heil! And for one little
                  female person: þú in litla. The other examples (vel, etc.) stay the
                  same.

                  If more than one person is being addressed, you would add the ending -
                  ið to the verbs: sofið, farið, hvílið. The adjectives change too.
                  For more than one male: farið heilir! For more than one female: farið
                  heilar! For a mixed group: farið heil! This is actually the neuter
                  plural, but it has the same form as the feminine singular.

                  Sometimes as a mark of respect, the plural forms are used when
                  addressing a king.

                  Llama Nom
                • Mary Pritchard
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 19, 2006
                    Thank you so much for the information! I am slowly
                    going through the courses to learn. This will assist
                    me quite a bit to start.

                    I appreciate your help with these. I may have more
                    questions as I read more.

                    Sincerely

                    Mary Alice

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Patricia
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 20, 2006
                      Hello Mary Alice, I am Patricia, I know of a dictionary which gives the English into Old Norse it is compiled my Ross Arthur, and of course it is not so much fun as writing to us, but I can hunt out the URL for you and if you then like to check back with us just to be sure would that help you in addition to the e.mails we exchange.
                      We have a couple of really skilled people on the course (I am an exception but learning) and I should be happy to help in as much as I am able
                      Kveðja
                      Patricia

                        Thank you so much for the information! I am slowly
                        going through the courses to learn.  This will assist
                        me quite a bit to start.

                        I appreciate your help with these. I may have more
                        questions as I read more.

                        Sincerely

                        Mary Alice

                        http://mail.yahoo.com

                        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      • Mary Pritchard
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 20, 2006
                          Thank you Patricia, that would be wonderful! I don't
                          want to clog the list up with lots of questions I can
                          figure out on my own, but it would be wonderful to
                          verify occasionaly what I am trying to learn

                          Thank you very much!

                          Mary Alice

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • Mary Pritchard
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 20, 2006
                            Joseph,

                            Thank you so much also! Hopefully I will have
                            intellegent questions as I continue.

                            Mary Alice

                            Mary Alice Pritchard
                            Ghostly Mistakes, Inara Press
                            May 17, 2006
                            www.maryalicepritchard.com

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Patricia
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 20, 2006
                              Fortunately Joseph did well for us  for I have been off line a while now, your letter was one of twelve  I have caught up now
                              Patricia

                              Message 14 of 21 , Dec 23, 2010
                                To All

                                I have been monitoring this excellent group and have decided to devote more time in 2011 to Norse language studies and would like to join in the translation fun!!!  Have worked through the EV Gordon and Michael Barnes books and on a trip to Iceland last year read large chunks of Egil's Saga in the original.   Look forward to joining in on the IPAD  Happy YuleFest to all!!

                                Best Andy

                                Sent from the IPAD of Andrew Higgins asthiggins@...  asthiggins on Twitter and on my Blog at Wotan's Musings

                              • Patti (Wilson)
                                Message 15 of 21 , Dec 23, 2010
                                  Hearty Welcome Andy
                                  A Glad Yule Tide and A Prosperous New Year
                                  Patricia

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Dec 27, 2010

                                    Velkominn, Andy.
                                    And, like you, I tend to read more than write on norse_course.
                                    By the BTW, how is it decided who translates the next chapter or sub-chapter when working through a saga?
                                    Is it first-come, first-to-present?

                                    Med vennligste hilsener,
                                    Paul Hansen

                                    To: norse_course@yahoogroups.com

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Dec 27, 2010
                                      At 6:56:09 PM on Monday, December 27, 2010, Paul Hansen
                                      wrote:

                                      > By the BTW, how is it decided who translates the next
                                      > chapter or sub-chapter when working through a saga? Is it
                                      > first-come, first-to-present?

                                      On Sundays Grace normally posts the next bit of Laxdœla saga
                                      to be translated, and within the next day or two the three
                                      folks who have been taking part independently post their
                                      translations. She and Rob have been working through Jackson
                                      Crawford's 'Tattúínárdœla saga' ('What If Star Wars Were an
                                      Icelandic Saga?') on the same basis, but with the passages
                                      posted on Thursday. (I think that I got the days right; I
                                      didn't actually check.) In both cases I've been coming
                                      along behind to try to sort out the especially tricky bits.

                                      I expect that we'll follow pretty much the same pattern when
                                      we take up againn in mid-January.

                                      Brian
                                    • Andrew Higgins
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Dec 28, 2010
                                        Brian, Paul and all

                                        Brilliant love the structure and have been reading thruCrawford's 'Tattúínárdœla saga on line which would be great to dig into. Also if there is any interest I am also going to be reading The
                                        Saga of King Heidrek the Wise in the 50th anniversary edition by Christopher Tolkien (as you. Can probably tell from my blog I am a major Tolkien lover) and will attempt a translation of this fornaldsogur from Old Norse - so three projects should keep me busy!!!!

                                        Look forward to taking part

                                        And at his blog Wotan's Musings http://wotanselvishmusings.blogspot.com/