RE: [norse_course] Auðun section 14/Feedback Patri cia

  • AThompson
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2005

      Sæl Patricia

      Some suggestions on your translation.

      Kveðja

      Alan

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Patricia [mailto:originalpatricia@...]
      Sent
      :
      Monday, 21 March 2005 1:52 AM
      To: norse_course@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [norse_course] Auðun section 14

      Ok nú of aptaninn, er konungr gekk til kveldsöngs,

      And now because it was [during] [the, def art attached] Evening the King went to Evensong

      And now as it was Evening the King went to Vespers (prefer - Vespers)

      ætlaði Auðun at hitta hann,

      Thought Auðun to meet him

      Auðun wished to meet him     ( at Vespers)

       ok svá mikit sem honum þótti fyrr fyrir, jók nú miklu á,

      [and] so much [difficult] as he [it, understood] seemed [to him] before, he was more hesitant [increased (it) now greatly (on)]

      as much as he hung back before, he was even more reluctant

       er þeir váru drukknir hirðmenninir.

      Since [when] they were drunken [only merry], King's (courtiers)

      Since the Kings House-Carles were all drunk  (prefer house-carles - they're a rough lot)

      Ok er þeir gengu inn aptr, þá þekði konungr mann

      and then [when] they went back (inside) then saw [recognised] King [the] man

      when they went back in, the King noticed a man

      ok þóttisk finna at eigi hafði frama til at ganga fram at hitta hann.

      and seemed to find that [he] not possessed courage to go forward to meet (?) him

      who seemed to lack the courage to step forward to approach him

      Ok nú er hirðin gekk inn, þá veik konungr út ok mælti:

      [And now] when the retainers [court, sg] went inside the King  ( veik) [turned out] and said

      and when the King's men went in the King (spoke up ? ) and said

       "Gangi sá nú fram, er mik vill finna.  Mik grunar at sá muni vera maðrinn

      Step that [one] now forward (he) who would [wants to] meet me, I suspect that thou [that one] art [will be] the man

      "come forward now , he who would meet me - I suspect that you are the man"

      I am beginning to like this King Sweinn, because he knows what rascals his house-carles are, moreover they are drunk as Aldermen, and he fears that Auðun will be made game of, by the men, I believe the name house-carles to be Amglo-Saxon, but it seems to fit  - retainers does sound a trifle George the Third

      I am unsure of this, several words eluded me, but it is so enjoyable.

      Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2005 8:29 AM

      Subject: [norse_course] Auðun section 14

      Will Auðun come forward or won´t he?

      Ok nú of aptaninn, er konungr gekk til kveldsöngs, ætlaði Auðun at hitta hann, ok svá mikit sem honum þótti fyrr fyrir, jók nú miklu á, er þeir váru drukknir hirðmenninir.  Ok er þeir gengu inn aptr, þá þekði konungr mann ok þóttisk finna at eigi hafði frama til at ganga fram at hitta hann.  Ok nú er hirðin gekk inn, þá veik konungr út ok mælti:  "Gangi sá nú fram, er mik vill finna.  Mik grunar at sá muni vera maðrinn."