pronouncing old norse

  • darkhalo772000
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2005
      Where do i go to find out how to pronounce ON?
    • diego ferioli
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2005
        > Where do i go to find out how to pronounce ON?

        there are two ways to pronounce Old Norse: you can use the reconstruction of
        the ancient pronunciation, or you can read according to the modern Icelandic
        sounds (which is more practical: there are many living Icelanders...).
        I think the best thing you can do is to read mr. ├żorgeirsson excellent
        explanation at

        www.hi.is/~haukurth/norse/articles/pronunc.html
        and
        www.hi.is/~haukurth/norse/articles/altpron.html

        If you prefer going further with modern Icelandic pronunciation, I suggest (and
        hope everyone agrees) to buy a modern Icelandic coursebook with cassettes/cds
        (I find it very useful in learning ON; the best book is "Colloquial Icelandic"
        by Routledge. it's not cheap, but excellent). for the now you can see also:

        http://www.omniglot.com/writing/icelandic.htm

        Good Luck!

        Diego
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2005
          --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "darkhalo772000"
          <darkhalo772000@y...> wrote:

          > Where do i go to find out how to pronounce ON?

          http://www.hi.is/~haukurth/norse/
          Click on "getting started".
          Or click on "articles" for two alternate guides.

          http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/lrc/eieol/norol-TC-X.html
          (Click on "the alphabet")

          http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/germanic/oi_sweet_about.html#images
          (Page 1, onwards -- perhaps not worrying too much about the
          suggestions of the 'anonymous contributor'?)

          These are not the only opinions regarding Old Norse pronunciation.
          While many details are agreed on by experts, there are still the
          inevitable uncertainties. Of the online guides above, those at the
          Norse Course homepage are more geared towards the texts as they're
          usually printed.