Re: [norse_course] Getting Started

  • Patricia
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2005
      Hello Carroll
      the home page http://www.hi.is/~haukurth/norse/   e.mails to
      norse course@yahoogroups.com  these are our contacts, and as you have published an expression of your intent to learn Old Norse, you have taken the first steps in the right direction, the home page with all it's links is a really good place to start, what we are doing at the moment is going through a Saga story, of Auðun from the West Fjords and how he sold all his property to buy a Bear (polar of course) to take as a present to King Sweinn, Old Norse is a wonderful language - the language of the Sagas and I hope you will like joining in.
      We are a helpful lot of folk, join in with us and study.
      Kveðja
      Sent: Monday, February 28, 2005 9:48 PM
      Subject: [norse_course] Getting Started

      Greetings All!

      I have never posted to this list, primarily because I have never figured out how to get started.  I read with a certain amount of intimidation all your posts on advanced Old Norse and, well, just have never posted.

      This last weekend, I went to the Harrow Moot, just outside of Mexia, Tx.  There, I mingled with several Folks from Anglo-Saxon Heathenry; however, this is not the first time I have done so.  What impresses me about these people is that many of them have taken the time to learn Old English as a part of their religious expression.  I, coming from more of the Scandinavian end of things, want to learn Old Norse, as a part of my religious expression.

      How do I get started?  What is out there for the ABSOLUTE beginner that need to learn inflexion (sp?); that need to hear what it sound like before the learning process can begin?

      Vaygar Odden Elmersson, StorGodi
      RheinWood Asatru Assembly
      Wichita, Kansas
      http://RheinWoodAsatruAssembly.org
      Owner, Central States Heathens
      Asatru Singles, and
      The Pagan and Heathen Liberal Left
      (E-Groups on Yahoo)
      Hail the Gods!  Hail the Folk!  Hail Vinland!

      Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.