RE: [norse_course] Auðun part 10

  • AThompson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2005

      Góðan daginn

      Within this passage, I can’t figure out the form “settak.”  Is it middle voice? In which case I think I would have expected “settumk”.

      Kveðja

      Alan

      Translation:

      Konungr mælti: 'Er þat satt, Áki, er hann segir?'

      (The) king spoke: ”Is that true, Áki, which he says?”

      'Satt er þat', segir hann.

      ”It is true”, he says.

      Konungr mælti: 'Ok þótti þér þat til liggja,

      (The) king spoke: ”And did that seem to you to be fitting

      þar sem ek settak þik mikinn mann,

      whereas I set you up as a great man,

      at hepta þat eða tálma, er maðr gørðisk til at fœra mér

      to hinder or obstruct that (it), when a man takes the trouble to give me

      gørsimi ok gaf fyrir alla eign?

      a treasure and gave for (it) all (his) possessions?

      Ok sá þat Haraldr konungr at ráði at láta hann fara í friði,

      And King Harald saw that as good counsel (thought it advisable) to let him go in peace.

      ok er hann várr óvinr.

      and he is our enemy.

      Hygg þú at þá, hvé sannligt þat var þinnar handar!

      Think [you] on that, how proper that was on your hand (part)!

      Ok þat væri makligt, at þú værir drepinn;

      And that were (subj.) deserved, that you were (subj.) killed;

      en ek mun nú eigi þat gøra, en braut skaltu fara þegar ór landinu,

      but I will now not do that, but you shall go away immediately out of the country,

      ok koma aldri aptr síðan mér í augsýn.

      and never come back afterwards into my sight.