engu játum vér öðru en þessu e r vér höfum áðr ætlat

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2004
      Hello all,

      I wonder if anyone can tell me why Auðun "goes plural" here? In Old
      Norse, as in English, I think it's normal for a king to talk of
      himself as "we", and Auðun very wisely addresses Harald with
      respectful 2nd person plural pronouns (yðru, þér), but is it unusual
      for someone non-royal to call themselves "we" in front of a king?

      I was just wondering if this was intended to add to the humour of an
      already quite fun scene, that poor little Auðun very respectfully
      and innocently talks back to the king, as if his own decisions carry
      as much weight as whatever the great Harald might decide--and the
      fact that the king good humouredly ignores the affront, or is rather
      amused by it himself.

      Llama Nom