Re: Hofdingi verses Hersir - Deriviations

    Message 1 of 37 , Nov 2, 2004
      I wrote:

      > In OIc., jo-stems as far as I know keep the regular umlaut
      mutation. It's true this this disappears due to analogy in some
      other classes of noun, cf. staðr, nauðr, etc. -- but even if the
      umlaut was lacking in *byndr, it would appear then as *bundr, rather
      than bóndi/búandi.

      Just remembered, gunnr (nom. sg. also guðr, cf. maðr) is a jo-stem
      lacking umlaut. This would correspond to Go. *gunþi.

      --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "Dirk Howat" <dirk_howat@h...>
      wrote:
      > I tend to take a ancient way of looking at things, being I want to
      > reconstruct proto-Germanic and I want to make Old Norse more
      > archaic. So many of the things I say will not be validated for
      that
      > era circa 1100ce, but I am trying to take a more proto-Norse
      > approach.

      Hi Dirk,

      Okay. We've probably been talking at cross purposes then a bit!

      Llama Nom
      Message 37 of 37 , Nov 2, 2004