Re: [norse_course] Þáttr Auðunar Vestfirzka / Laurel

  • Laurel Bradshaw
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 23, 2004
      Could be -- that is certainly how I took it at first. There was also the "Hann Auðun..." in the next line, so perhaps that is simply the "style" of this particular author. But I would welcome other comments on this......

      Laurel

      Sarah wrote:
      I get the feeling that the personal pronoun - here "honum" - is fundamentally redundant but is used as a reinforcer.

    • telario@neb.rr.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 23, 2004
        Hæ Alle;
        English has a simular construct using myself, yourself, himself... .
        The French 'Qu'est-ce que tu penses, toi' in English can be
        said 'What do you yourself think?' We would not normally say 'Do you
        know Sarah herself?', but 'Do you yourself know Sarah?' is
        acceptable. Grammatically, both are acceptable but the latter would
        common.

        ok starfaði fyrir honum Þóri,
        and working for Thorir himself,
        (indicating an honor; working under a CraftMaster.)

        -Arnurdth.

        --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah Bowen" <sarahbowen@n...>
        wrote:
        > Hæ Laurel!
        >
        > I will try to answer this one, but I think you will get a more
        comprehensive answer from a native Icelandic-speaker....

        > I get the feeling that the personal pronoun - here "honum" - is
        fundamentally redundant but is used as a reinforcer. A bit the way
        the French say "Moi, je...." or "Qu'est-ce que tu penses, toi?"
        I've heard it said colloquially in Icelandic too, as in "Þekkir þú
        hana Söru?" meaning "do you know Sarah?" where both "hana"
        and "Söru" refer to the same person. I´m not sure that English has
        this feature - but never having learnt English grammar formally, I
        could well be wrong!!!

        > I'm sure Simon Fitton-Brown could give us some examples from other
        languages too, if he's still with the group.

        > Hope this helps.
        > Cheers,
        > Sarah.

        any 'rust' in your translation!!

        > Well it FELT rusty doing it! LOL!
        >
        > Only one comment, which is nit-picking rather than vital
        >
        > Please do nitpick! Isn't that why we're doing this?
        >
        > Although þá often does mean "then", here it is the 3rd person
        singular past indicative of þiggja - meaning to accept or receive.

        > So it does! Thankyou. Although it still made sense (to me)
        without a "verb" there. (-:

        > I do have a question about one bit:
        >
        > ok starfaði fyrir honum Þóri,
        > and - working - for - him - Þórir
        > and working for Thorir
        >
        > The "honum" seemed redundant to me, and I wonder if there isn't
        more to it. Perhaps it should be "working for HIM (i.e. Thorstein)
        for Thorir" -- in other words, Audun has been assigned to work for
        Thorir BY Thorstein??

        > Laurel
        >

        > A Norse funny farm, overrun by smart people.

        > To escape from this funny farm try rattling off an e-mail to:

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Service.