"Everyday" seid

  • lyssa_hinmannsdatter
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2004
      Hello!

      My first post here, I think. I've been mostly lurking. :) I hope it
      isn't impolite to start out with a question instead of an
      introduction?

      I'm currently working on an idea for a TV-series which will take
      place in modern times, but have roots in the viking era. It will be a
      sort of adventure-story.

      I intend to do a lot of research on language, culture, seid, names,
      geography... as many aspects and details as I can get my hands on, to
      make the parts of the show that take place in or refers to the Viking
      era as true and realistic as possible.

      What I want to ask for here, though, is a bit of a "cheat".

      See, to get a feel of the story, the characters and the few pieces of
      plot we have assembled, I'm writing out pieces of it as prose. In the
      story I'm currently working on a few simple pieces of - this might be
      the wrong name for it - seid, magic, is used.

      I remember that I saw a small verse in my Norwegian syllabus used for
      stopping blood. I think I remember "Still blot, statt blot..."
      something. That's the kind of thing I'm looking for for my story. Do
      anyone know any good online sources for this?

      Like I said, I want to cheat just to give this little piece an air of
      realism when I show it to my partner, instead of just writing "[seid
      goes here]".

      Regards,
      Kaÿa
    • Cathy Burke
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2004
        Hello Kaya,

        I have a friend who does Viking reenactments and movie consulting.  His web site is www.jomsvikings.com  , his telephone number is found in the 'Contact' section at the bottom of the page.  His reenactment group has been in several PBS movies and I know that he was a Viking consultant for the movie 13th Warrior.   He will be in San Antonio, Texas later this month.  He'll also be at the Viking Fest in Waco, Texas during April 2005, the Jomsvikings group will be doing reenactments in the Viking Village hosted by the Ansteorran Longship Project (Part of the SCA Barony of Bjornsborg).

        Also,  Sandra Hill is a writer who has written several Viking time travel books, done in series of two sets.  They are all extremely funny!  Her latest book in one of her series just came out today, Wet and Wild.  Sandra Hill has done a wonderful job showing the side of Vikings that people just never hear, among the few are that they were not only brave warriors but had a great sense of humor, they were very industrious, very family oriented and had a very good system of justice through their Althings.  She would be an excellent person to consult with as well, she uses many Old Norse phrases in her books and has an excellent grasp of the Viking culture and history, particularly 9th - 10th century.

        I hope this might help you.

        Cathy Burke,
        SCA Name:  Catriona Uillemsdottir, Barony of Loch Soillier