RE: [norse_course] help please?

  • Lewis, Raymond J.
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2004
      Michael -

      I like what you've written here:

      "The Skein of Fate that the Norns direct
      As they draw, carry and sprinkle renewing water,
      Ratatosk gnaws and carries vile words
      Yet blends and unfolds with the pre-ordained"

      That you would like to translate this into ON is understandable. I think it is inevitable that any attempt on our part to write something in ON will largely take the form of a "translation" - that is, a formulation in one language being converted into another language. My experience however is that an abject beginner can, to some extent, actually "write" something - a very short story or even poem (of a sort) - in ON. By "write", I mean an attempt to formulate ideas directly into the target language. Naturally, since we think in our native language, there is an obvious tendency in this exercise towards "translation". Nevertheless, I would encourage you to consider the exercise. Think about using the 100 or so words of ON that you can pick up fairly quickly from the norse_course to "write" something. I have done this occasionally myself, in the not distant past, and can re-post one or two efforts for your consideration if you would like.

      Raymond

      Michael Smith <mytoyneighborhood@...> wrote:
      Hello, my name is Michael Smith and I am interested in learning
      Old Norse mainly to be able to write my own songs in Old Norse, and
      also to speak for fun.

      Right now I have a short part of one of my songs I've been trying to
      translate using online sources, but I haven't had any luck.

      Would anyone be so kind as to be able to translate this as much as
      possible if it's not too much trouble?:

      "The Skein of Fate that the Norns direct
      As they draw, carry and sprinkle renewing water,
      Ratatosk gnaws and carries vile words
      Yet blends and unfolds with the pre-ordained"

      It doesn't have to be exact, if it's something much simpler and a
      little different, but with the subject matter unchanged that's
      fine. I just want to able to record this one vocal part of my song.

      take care,
      Michael