Re: [norse_course] Computer Glossary

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2004
      Hinn 04. ágúst 2004 lét James R. Johnson þetta frá sér fara:
      > I was looking at making a computer glossary for ON and OE, and was wondering
      > what the cognates for "gögn" would be in either language. Would it be
      > "gang" in OE?

      Hmm... I think the Modern English cognate for 'gagn' is "gain". Maybe you can
      work backwards from that.

      And 'gögn' is certainly the Modern Icelandic word for "data".
      Note, however, that 'gagn' is not "datum" :)

    • lucyjane.michel@free.fr
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 7, 2004
        IF this helps:

        OE 'gang' = 3rd pers sing. of 'gongan' to walk, go
        Also: 'gang' noun,m, =flow

        OE for ME 'gain' = 'gegongan'

        Good luck,

        Lucy-Jane MICHEL