Sv: Re: "iambr" = í Ambir" - one year old mystery finally solved!

  • sjuler
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 30, 2004
      --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, Haukur Thorgeirsson
      <haukurth@h...> wrote:
      > Hinn 29. júní 2004 lét sjuler þetta frá sér fara:
      > > I hope you remember this one year old thread. Anyway, I think I
      have
      > > solved the mystery of what 'iambr' in "...gæst hia Jone iambr
      hafde
      > > þa..." means. The solution was in front of me all the time. Of
      > > course, 'iambr' is a typo (?) for 'i ambr', which normalized to
      Old
      > > Norse is "í Ambir". Ambir is today written Ammer, which is an
      area in
      > > Revsund (ON Raufsund).
      >
      > You're probably right. I think this is a fairly common ms spelling,
      i.e.
      > not bothering with a space between a preposition and a noun.
      >
      > Did you come to think of this from seeing the Völuspá quote?
      >
      > aiþa velli -> á Iða velli

      No, but I rather assumed that the guy who compiled the digitilized
      file must have made some mistake. But your example from Völuspá
      suggests that the original document actually contains this
      contraction.

      > Kveðja,
      > Haukur

      regards,
      Sjuler
    • James R. Johnson
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4 1:18 PM
        I was looking at making a computer glossary for ON and OE, and was wondering what the cognates for "gögn" would be in either language.

        Thanks,

        James