Re: [norse_course] "iambr " = í Ambir" - one year old mystery finally solved!

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 29, 2004
      Hinn 29. júní 2004 lét sjuler þetta frá sér fara:
      > I hope you remember this one year old thread. Anyway, I think I have
      > solved the mystery of what 'iambr' in "...gæst hia Jone iambr hafde
      > þa..." means. The solution was in front of me all the time. Of
      > course, 'iambr' is a typo (?) for 'i ambr', which normalized to Old
      > Norse is "í Ambir". Ambir is today written Ammer, which is an area in
      > Revsund (ON Raufsund).

      You're probably right. I think this is a fairly common ms spelling, i.e.
      not bothering with a space between a preposition and a noun.

      Did you come to think of this from seeing the Völuspá quote?

      aiþa velli -> á Iða velli

    • sjuler
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 30, 2004
        --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, Haukur Thorgeirsson
        <haukurth@h...> wrote:
        > Hinn 29. júní 2004 lét sjuler þetta frá sér fara:
        > > I hope you remember this one year old thread. Anyway, I think I
        have
        > > solved the mystery of what 'iambr' in "...gæst hia Jone iambr
        hafde
        > > þa..." means. The solution was in front of me all the time. Of
        > > course, 'iambr' is a typo (?) for 'i ambr', which normalized to
        Old
        > > Norse is "í Ambir". Ambir is today written Ammer, which is an
        area in
        > > Revsund (ON Raufsund).
        >
        > You're probably right. I think this is a fairly common ms spelling,
        i.e.
        > not bothering with a space between a preposition and a noun.
        >
        > Did you come to think of this from seeing the Völuspá quote?
        >
        > aiþa velli -> á Iða velli

        No, but I rather assumed that the guy who compiled the digitilized
        file must have made some mistake. But your example from Völuspá
        suggests that the original document actually contains this
        contraction.

        > Kveðja,
        > Haukur

        regards,
        Sjuler
      • James R. Johnson
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4, 2004
          I was looking at making a computer glossary for ON and OE, and was wondering what the cognates for "gögn" would be in either language.

          Thanks,

          James