Re: [norse_course] Re: Jed to Reanna re patronymics - Jedsdaughter?

  • Plastikdol@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2004
      Jed,
          I completely agree with you on that point.  As an American, I'm constantly hearing people say, "Oh, if they're in our country, they should learn to speak English."  Okay, fine, everybody's entitled to their own opinions.  It's only when they go to another country and say, "Well, they should speak English.  I shouldn't have to learn their language,"  that's one of the most arrogant things ever.  This is the precise attitude that you can't have.  I think it not only "hampers your ability to learn pick up other languages," as you said, but also shows you have a complete lack of respect and understanding of other cultures.  After all, isn't the whole point to learning other languages to learn every aspect of it, including (besides sound and grammar) the culture which it was spoken at the time?
      Reanna
    • J√ĄGERMEISTER
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 22, 2005
        Hi I'm new here, and haven't introduced myself. But Americans are
        sometimes even more arrogant than the English. I know. I am one. Many
        don't care to learn anything in any other language. I personally know
        other languages, so not all of us are like that. It's just ridiculous
        how many people are.

        --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Mcharg"
        <Gerald.Mcharg@b...> wrote:

> [...]
        Jedsdaughter?
        > .
        >

        > > Hey, why not 'Jedsdaughter'?
        > >
        > > /Sjuler
        > >
        > > Sjuler
        > Valid point...but I think the attraction of learning another
        language is in
        > trying to absorb its spelling and sounds as far as possible. I
        remember as a
        > thirteen year old being fascinated by the word 'Yggdrasil' and
        > subsequently by other words ....'Ospakar', 'Skallagrim' and so on.
        The
        > English (I don't know about the Scots, Welsh, Irish and Americans)
        have this
        > arrogance, subconsciously at times, of assuming that they don't
        need to
        > learn more than a few words of another language. Beyond that, let
        the damned
        > foreigners try to understand English.This is a mindset which
        seriously
        > hampers our ability to pick up other languages, living or dead, as
        fluently
        > as the Scandinavians seem to do. I sometimes wish I was born in
        Sweden,
        > Norway, Denmark or Iceland for that reason alone.
        > But when I tried to approximate the sounds of Old English (reading
        from a
        > short Old English text) to a peer group, they were quite
        enthusiastic about
        > it . It was just near enough Modern English in some of its
        pronunciations
        > for them to latch on to. And the next step after Old English of
        course, is
        > Old Norse. It's a shame that it took me nearly forty years to get
        round to
        > it.
        > I'll still be in trouble with my daughter, though.
        > Cheers
        > Jed
        > >
        > > --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Mcharg"
        > > <Gerald.Mcharg@b...> wrote:
        > > > Reanna
        > > > When I wished that my daughter had my patronymic, in no way was
        > > belittling the Irish.
        > > > What about an indulgent compromise? - Megaera Jedardottir Mc
        Harg.