sayings/proverbs in hrafnkel's saga.

  • xigung
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2003
      Hi,
      I made a list of these proverbs yesterday.
      I thought it might be interesting if I posted them.
      The Icelandic term is orðs-kviður, which Zoëga translates
      as saying, proverb. Here is the list:

      1. eigi valdr sá er varar annan.
      2. sá er svinnr er sik kann.
      3. hefir sá ok jafnan er hættir.
      4. skömm er úhófs ævi.
      5. vant er við vándum at sjá.
      6. svá ergisk hverr sem eldisk.

      I do not have any information as to the age of these
      sayings, nor do I know anything about similar sayings
      in other languages, and how easily they may spread
      from one language to another.

      I do have translations, but maybe it is best to leave them
      untranslated at first, so that people may try them out first.

      Regards
      Xigung