Re: [norse_course] Hrafnkel

  • Laurel Bradshaw
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 13, 2003
      Since only one person has posted a translation of the last passage (and mine is not done yet....) I'm going to hold off posting a new section, and give people a chance to catch up.

      Laurel
    • Laurel Bradshaw
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 11, 2003
        Only two people have posted translations of the latest selection.  I know I haven't had time with Thanksgiving and Christmas stuff  (and job hunting!) going on.  Is everyone else too busy?  Or are you bored with the whole thing??  Shall we continue after the New Year?

        Laurel
      • vikingwoman
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 11, 2003
          Hi Laurel,

          Not bored at all . I just think Iam not good enough to put my translation
          ;; you will just laugh.
          All of you are just so smart for this Dane.

          Charla
          Victoria Kanada

          Only two people have posted translations of the latest selection. I know I
          haven't had time with Thanksgiving and Christmas stuff (and job hunting!)
          going on. Is everyone else too busy? Or are you bored with the whole
          thing?? Shall we continue after the New Year?

          Laurel

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Gerald Mcharg
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 12, 2003

            Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2003 5:12 PM

            Only two people have posted translations of the latest selection.  I know I haven't had time with Thanksgiving and Christmas stuff  (and job hunting!) going on.  Is everyone else too busy?  Or are you bored with the whole thing??  Shall we continue after the New Year?

            Laurel

            Of course, were carrying on. You're doing a grand job, Laurel. All the best for Christmas and New Year
            Jed

          • Thomas Lindblom
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 12, 2003
              I haven´t  had time to translate Hrafnkel lately I have just been too busy.
              It would be a good idea to take a brake now and continue translating after New Year.

              thomas

              Laurel Bradshaw <llawryf@...> wrote:
              Only two people have posted translations of the latest selection.  I know I haven't had time with Thanksgiving and Christmas stuff  (and job hunting!) going on.  Is everyone else too busy?  Or are you bored with the whole thing??  Shall we continue after the New Year?

              Laurel

              Höstrusk och grå moln - köp en resa till solen på Yahoo! Resor

            • Sarah Bowen
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 12, 2003
                Hi Laurel!

                Not remotely bored with it - just been rather tooooo busy recently and had computer problems.

                Please can we continue in the New Year?

                Cheers,
                Sarah.
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 15, 2003
                  Hi Laurel!
                  I've been working on the Hrafnkell saga quite a bit myself
                  during the last 3 weeks! And I definitly think the effort ought
                  to continue!
                  However, I decided not to submit any translation myself.
                  First of all, because such is very time-consuming, and
                  I think it is very nice that two or three people make the effort.
                  But of course *everybody' cannot submit translations, since it
                  would swamp the list.

                  But for me, it was very instructive to look at other people's
                  effort, and try to locate the points that are unclear, ambiguous
                  or erroneous. Then, trying to come up with good alternatives
                  was something I thought I benefitted from.

                  Reading "perfect" translations, is much less interesting;
                  too monotonous. As long as people are willing to stick their
                  heads out and risk making errors, it becomes much more like
                  a real class-room situation. Keeps one from falling asleep!
                  :-)

                  (but of course, those who post translations should not
                  make too many errors. There is a certain balance point there)

                  Best regards
                  Xigung

                  --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "Laurel Bradshaw" <llawryf@e...>