Other language resources available

  • Tim Hansen
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2000
      There are a host of excellent books (grammars, dictionaries and readers) available to those who already know a Scandinavian language. One of the best I’ve found so far is Grunnbok i norrønt språk – ISBN 8241702124 writen in nynorsk.

      For those who would rather use an English text, I would suggest the second and third parts of a new introduction to old Norse. These works are not completed yet but are available from the Scandinavian Studies Department at University College London

      or the Viking Society for Northern Research

      Part two is a gentle introduction to a few of the sagas, including a word for word translation, while the third part can be used along side as a reference when needed.

      Hope this helps!

      Tim H