Rasmus Rask

  • Alfta
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 7, 2003
      Greetings all,

      I was wondering if Haukur and others in the know, have an opinion on the
      English translation of Rasmus Rask's Old Icelandic Grammar?

      regards,

      -Alfta
      www.northvegr.org
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 7, 2003
        > I was wondering if Haukur and others in the know, have an opinion on the
        > English translation of Rasmus Rask's Old Icelandic Grammar?

        Since I've never seen a copy I'm unable to comment :)

        Rask, of course, was a pioneer in the field and while much
        of what he contributed is now obsolete he unquestionably
        did know Icelandic.

      • Alfta
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 9, 2003
          Greetings Haukur,

          Thanks very much for the reply. I was able to obtain a copy of it just
          recently and we will be working on getting it transcribed for the Northvegr
          site some time in the coming months. I hope you might be interested in
          looking it over once we have it ready to post at the site.

          best regards,

          -Alfta
          www.northvegr.org

          > > I was wondering if Haukur and others in the know, have an opinion on the
          > > English translation of Rasmus Rask's Old Icelandic Grammar?
          >
          > Since I've never seen a copy I'm unable to comment :)
          >
          > Rask, of course, was a pioneer in the field and while much
          > of what he contributed is now obsolete he unquestionably
          > did know Icelandic.
          >
          > Kveðja,
          > Haukur
          >

          > A Norse funny farm, overrun by smart people.

          > To escape from this funny farm try rattling off an e-mail to:

        • Alfta
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 23, 2003
            Greetings all,

            I am working on coordinating an effort to transcribe Rasmus Rask's "A Grammar of the Icelandic or Old Norse Tongue." This book will be posted at the Northvegr site once it has been completely transcribed. I am hoping that some here might be interested in helping with the effort. The only payment I can offer is credit for the work done. The work will be done from TIFF graphic files which you will be able to download in zip files, and can be scanned by OCR software, but the scans will have to be proofread, as most OCR software does not interpret Icelandic characters very well. You can also type the files into text files directy from the graphic files if you would like as well.

            If you are interested in helping out, you can contact us at northvegr@.... I will give the list an update once the transcribing has been completed and the text is available at the site.

            best regards,

            Alfta