Mac User's in Search of Help

  • Lewis, Raymond J.
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2003
      Dear Mac Users -

      There is a relatively painless way of reading and writing those pesky ON
      characters on a Mac.

      1) go to http://www.georgtown.edu/cball/oe/TimesOEv2.sea.hqx
      2) dowload the Times OE - Roman font (I used "method 2" which
      provided me with a self-extracting archive - double click on it and
      you'll get a folder with the Times OE - Roman Font Suitcase within
      [the OE stands for Old English])
      3) open up System Folder:Fonts and drop the suitcase in (or, holding
      down the Option key while draging and dropping puts a copy within
      the Fonts folder
      The font is now installed.
      Next, make it so that your browser uses the font as its default. In
      Netscape, I did the following:
      1) go to Edit:Preferences
      2) on the left side, you'll find the Appearance tab with Fonts within
      3) click on Fonts and make Times OE - Roman the default Variable
      and Fixed font (just scroll through the lists there).
      4) click OK and you're done.

      Next, how to enter characters:

      In Times OE - Roman

      opt + shift + 3 = Ð
      opt + shift + 4 = ð
      opt + shift + 5 = Þ
      opt + shift + 6 = þ

      The remaining are the same in any font:

      opt + O = Ø
      opt + o = ø
      opt + Q = OE
      opt + q = oe
      opt + " = Æ
      opt + ' = æ
      opt + e, vowel = á, é, i, ó, ú
      opt + u, vowel = ä, ë, ï, ö, ü

      Unfortunately, I can find no long y.

      The appearance of the font is not quite to my liking - but it is better than
      the chicken
      scratch typically available to we poor Mac users.

      Well - there it is.

      Raymond