Mac User's in Search of Help
- Dear Mac Users -
There is a relatively painless way of reading and writing those pesky ON
characters on a Mac.
1) go to http://www.georgtown.edu/cball/oe/TimesOEv2.sea.hqx
2) dowload the Times OE - Roman font (I used "method 2" which
provided me with a self-extracting archive - double click on it and
you'll get a folder with the Times OE - Roman Font Suitcase within
[the OE stands for Old English])
3) open up System Folder:Fonts and drop the suitcase in (or, holding
down the Option key while draging and dropping puts a copy within
the Fonts folder
The font is now installed.
Next, make it so that your browser uses the font as its default. In
Netscape, I did the following:
1) go to Edit:Preferences
2) on the left side, you'll find the Appearance tab with Fonts within
3) click on Fonts and make Times OE - Roman the default Variable
and Fixed font (just scroll through the lists there).
4) click OK and you're done.
Next, how to enter characters:
In Times OE - Roman
opt + shift + 3 = Ð
opt + shift + 4 = ð
opt + shift + 5 = Þ
opt + shift + 6 = þ
The remaining are the same in any font:
opt + O = Ø
opt + o = ø
opt + Q = OE
opt + q = oe
opt + " = Æ
opt + ' = æ
opt + e, vowel = á, é, i, ó, ú
opt + u, vowel = ä, ë, ï, ö, ü
Unfortunately, I can find no long y.
The appearance of the font is not quite to my liking - but it is better than
scratch typically available to we poor Mac users.
Well - there it is.