reading material for beginners - by a beginner

  • Lewis, Raymond J.
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2003
      As I have done in the past, I'm posting a small bit of
      independent writing for the purpose of those actually
      following the course to read. And, as before, I encourage
      others to post their own independent writing. The purpose
      of such an exercise will become clear to anyone who actually
      attempts the feat.

      The snippet will be found as an attachment at the very bottom
      of this page. Simply click on it and it will open up in your
      browser. The writing is not a poem though it is not prose
      either. This means, that if you find it a bit strange - it's
      okay, you're okay, and we're all okay - okay? The vocabulary
      is at the level of Lesson 8 and any words not at that level
      are included at the bottom.

      Raymond

      .
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2003
        > The snippet will be found as an attachment at the very bottom
        > of this page. Simply click on it and it will open up in your
        > browser. The writing is not a poem though it is not prose
        > either. This means, that if you find it a bit strange - it's
        > okay, you're okay, and we're all okay - okay? The vocabulary
        > is at the level of Lesson 8 and any words not at that level
        > are included at the bottom.

        That's great! Glad you've done lesson 8.
        How about lesson 9 and the number lesson?

        I'll see if I can help with your text:

        SÉ EK MIK

        sé ek mik sem einn maðr er ekki sér
        et ek alla himininn ok brátt em svangr
        vil ek á vötnunum at ganga en mun ek eigi svima
        því næst munu vindar keyra mik um skýin
        heim blása þeir en þar er þeir fara ek elti eigi
        stend ek gegn aldi svát gamlan mun ek verða

        aldr, m. age
        ekki, n. pron. nothing
        ský, n. cloud
        svima, swim
        vatn, n. water

        I'm going to try to translate what I think you're saying:

        "I see myself as one man who sees nothing
        I eat all the sky and soon I am hungry
        I want to walk on the waters but I will not swim
        and after that winds will drive me through the clouds
        they blow home but I do not follow where they go
        I stand against age so I will not become old"

        Assuming that I'm on the right track there are some
        grammatical issues that I am going to point out:

        1. "alla himininn", this should either be "allan himininn"
        (singular) or "alla himnana" (plural)

        2. The verb 'vilja' does not take 'at' with its associated
        infinitive; thus "vil ek ganga" not "*vil ek at ganga".

        3. I know this word order thing is difficult. Usually I'm
        telling you to put the verb earlier - now I'm going to tell
        you to put it later. I recommend: "eigi mun ek svima" or
        "ek mun eigi svima".

        4. I'm afraid "V2" will force you to change to: "en þar er þeir
        fara elti ek eigi"

        5. The noun 'aldr' is a bit tricky. In this case the 'r' is not
        an ending; just a part of the stem. It's inflected like:
        Baldr, Baldr, Baldri, Baldrs (and if you can't pronounce 'Baldr'
        as one syllable then neither can I).

        6. The verb 'verða', like its counterpart 'vera', takes a complement
        (nominative) rather than an object. Thus 'gamall' instead of 'gamlan'.
        I suppose in modern English you might say (about a transsexual):
        "he becomes her", but in Old Norse we say "he becomes she" (hann varð hon).
        (Or maybe you do say the latter; I really don't know.)

        All in all it was a good effort :)