Pronuncing 'skjótøx'

  • sjuler
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 14, 2003
      The easiest way of understanding the pronunciation of 'skjótøx' is to
      listen to a sound-file, so here it is (~17K large):
      http://www.geocities.com/jepe2503/skjotox.wav
      I hope the Icelanders (Haukur, Konrad etc) approve my modern, 21th
      century northern Norse accent. I think it would be a good thing to
      compare the different ways of pronuncing Old Norse words that we have
      in the Nordic countries today, just to hear how the different accents
      paint those old words. Simpler sentences would be interesting to look
      at as well. I think the foreign --- i.e., the non-Nordic --- students
      would appreciate it.

      /Sjurd
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 18, 2003
        > The easiest way of understanding the pronunciation of 'skjótøx' is to
        > listen to a sound-file, so here it is (~17K large):
        > http://www.geocities.com/jepe2503/skjotox.wav
        > I hope the Icelanders (Haukur, Konrad etc) approve my modern, 21th
        > century northern Norse accent.

        Sure.

        > I think it would be a good thing to
        > compare the different ways of pronuncing Old Norse words that we have
        > in the Nordic countries today, just to hear how the different accents
        > paint those old words. Simpler sentences would be interesting to look
        > at as well. I think the foreign --- i.e., the non-Nordic --- students
        > would appreciate it.

        I would be interested in that! You cook something up
        and I will not hesitate to read my version of it. :)

      • sjuler
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 20, 2003
          "I would be interested in that! You cook something up and I will not
          hesitate to read my version of it. :)"

          I have cooked something up now. My proposal is that we go for
          recording single words, not complete sentences, since:

          1) The sound files will be small (even when using wav format),
          2) it is easy enuff to record (even for a guy like me who usually
          cannot complete the simplest Swedish sentences),
          3) one only has to consider isolated entities (no complex structures
          such as meaningful sentences have to be constructed - single valid ON
          words are always meaningful).

          An excellent source of Old (West) Norse words is
          http://hem2.passagen.se/peter9/gram/ord_.html
          where we see the Old Swedish cognates as well, which is practical
          when making sound recordings where different "dialects" of Old Norse
          are represented.

          The "three words for the evening" are:
          AMBÁTT - noun 'female slave',
          BRÁÐR - adj. 'fast',