Hello

  • Douglas
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 18, 2003
      Hi people, I'm Douglas H�rfagri, from Brazil
      Just got into the list, I love to learn languages, specially from the germa branch.

      Douglas H�rfagri
    • Teja Johnson-Lewis
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 19, 2003

        Douglas <doug.k@...> wrote:
        Hi people, I'm Douglas H�rfagri, from Brazil
        Just got into the list, I love to learn languages, specially from the germa branch.

        Douglas H�rfagri

        Hi Douglas,  I'm Teja Johnson-Lewis, from New York.  I'm the baby of the norse course.  Anyone younger than me hasn't spoken up yet so I can say this.  How much of the language do you know?  I don't know a lot.  Okay:  in your language, how do you say "my husband is crazy"?  A friend of mine wants to know.  That was dumb, oh well.  I'm young so I'm excused.

        If you're a beginner, beware.  Konrad likes to write confusing stuff because he's smart.  Raymond is freaky and talks gibberish just because he is rather ignorant.  Sarah Bowen is interested in translations.  Xixgung seems to like linguistics.  And I just make everybody mad.  (I started a complaint a while ago, now everybody hates me.)  Daniel Bray is funny.  Not everyone here are beginners, so watch out.  Okay, so long.

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • David Bahler
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 20, 2006
          Hello, my name is David Bahler, and i have used this course as an
          introduction to the Old Norse Language (Although i have since moved to the
          more comprehensive resources available at the University of Texas' website
          UTEXAS.EDU which by the way contains an EXCELLENT pronounciation guide and
          description of sounding and syllable rules.)

          I have been working on a story for some time, it is in a world based on the
          world of Norse Mythology. The languages spoken by the northern people of the
          world in my story will be several dialects and variations of Old Norse and
          perhaps Old English.

          I have run into a problem, however, in learning the language. The language
          is dead, and as such has no native speakers (Although i realise modern
          Icelandiic very simmilar, it is pronounced much differently than the old
          language and is therefore of little use for learning the sound of the
          language.) Without listening to the language, it is much harder to learn
          vocabulary. I learn what i can from the sagas and such literature but this
          is much slower than what can be achieved through conversation, even if not
          vocal.

          What i would truly like, though i do not posses the time or knowlege to make
          it possible, would be the creation of some sort of Old Norse forum or
          discussion board involving a large number of active members, such as those
          active on this mailing list, where there could be achieved actual
          conversation in the language at multiple skill levels. This would be
          horribly impractical on a mailing list as it would clutter your inbox with
          rapid speed. For those of us who would truly like to achieve a very deep
          knowlege of, even intimacy with, the language this would be a truly
          invaluable resource. i would offer what assistance i might in the creation
          of such a forum if there are those with the interest and knowlege to create
          it.

          Until what time this may be done, i must learn slowly through translation.

          Also, I own the Zoega Dictionary, but would like to know if there is a
          comprehensive dictionary that has an English to Old Norse ordering, as the
          Zoega dictionary contains only Old Norse to english. That is sufficient for
          now for translations, but is inadequate forfinding new words and creating
          original Norse works (I create my own Drotkv�tt verses and am begining to
          write music in the "viking" style from what little evidence of such there
          is.)

          well that is all (for Now) i sincerely hope that perhaps my idea may someday
          become a reality.

        • Patricia
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 21, 2006
            Joseph just did this one for Mary Pritchard it is the only one I know of

            http://www.yorku.ca/inpar/language/English-Old_Norse.pdf

            It is not an extensive Dictionary but I hope it will help
            Kveðja

            24 FIFA World Cup tickets to be won with Yahoo! Mail http://uk.mail.yahoo.com
          • ajsharkhunter@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 6, 2010
              As i have i joined this group and don't know any of you i thought id send out a formal post saying Hi to you all and asking the question is there any way for me to get an audio of the old norse alphabet? (I'm a lil hazy on pronunciation and hearing it would help a ton)

              So hello all and thanks for reading this =)
            • Patti (Wilson)
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 6, 2010
                Be Welcome  - glad to have you aboard - I know not of an audio - but
                I shall make EQ's for one - meanwhile I believe there is the next best
                thing on the Home Page - and there are some good examples of
                pages to help you
                Kveðja
                Patricia - used to be around here quite a lot -
                not so often now - but I follow every thing even so

                As i have i joined this group and don't know any of you i thought id send out a formal post saying Hi to you all and asking the question is there any way for me to get an audio of the old norse alphabet? (I'm a lil hazy on pronunciation and hearing it would help a ton)

                So hello all and thanks for reading this =)

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:

              • Kate Gladstone
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 7, 2010
                  Is there any way to get audio of the stories/plays/NorseToons/etc. from the lessons? It would really help.

                  Also -- I wish there were more NorseToons. They are really helpful (I just started the course a couple of weeks ago), and I hope there will be more.

                  Yours for better letters, Kate Gladstone
                     http://www.HandwritingThatWorks.com
                  Handwriting Repair/Handwriting That Works
                  and the World Handwriting Contest

                       6-B Weis Road, Albany, NY 12208-1942
                       518/482-6763 - handwritingrepair@...

                  BETTER LETTERS (iPhone handwriting trainer app) -- http://bit.ly/BetterLetters
                  SONGS OF PENDOM -- http://stores.lulu.com/handwriting
                  POLITICIAN LEGIBILITY ACT Petition --
                  http://www.iPetitions.com/petition/PoliticianLegibility

                  Twitter -- http://www.twitter.com/KateGladstone
                  Facebook -- http://www.facebook.com/KateGladstone
                • mr.wizzard_213@ymail.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 8, 2013
                    Hi. I'm new with the whole group thing, as wells Old Norse. So I just wanted to say hello.
                  • Sabin Densmore
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 9, 2013

                      Hello and welcome!

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
                        Hello all

                        I have been lurking on this site for a while mainly due to the fact that I am currently in he middle of doing a Phd on Tolkien's Early Mythology.

                        I am thinking of taking a whack at (slowly) reading Voluspa in Old Norse.  I have been listening to a wonderful Modern Scholar series by Professor Michael Drout on The Norseman - Understanding Vikings and their Culture (highly recommend) and his talk on Eddiac
                        Poetry got me interested in tackling this one.

                        Anyone interested in starting a weekly thread of translation of the Voluspa?  Will start this weekend.

                        Tykk fyr Andy

                        Sent from the IPAD of Andrew Higgins

                        Andrew Higgins Head of Development and Membership
                        Glyndebourne (andrew.higgins@...)
                        and now a word from our supporters......
                        http://glyndebourne.com/supporting-glyndebourne

                        asthiggins@...  asthiggins on Facebook/Twitter
                        Mobile 07500 827793
                        And at his blog Wotan's Musings http://wotanselvishmusings.blogspot.com/