Question?

  • Valek
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5 2:04 PM
      What is the Old Norse word for "of". For example "God of War and
      Death" god is ass, war is ofridr, ok is and, and death is daudi, is
      that correct? But I can find the Old Norse word for "of". Can anyone
      help me. Thanks.
    • konrad_oddsson
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5 3:15 PM
        --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "Valek" <vikingligrveldi@y...>
        wrote:
        > What is the Old Norse word for "of". For example "God of War and
        Death"

        The cognate word is 'af', but it is never used in this way. You can
        not say 'god AF death' in Norse. Norse tends to prefer genitive- or
        stem-compound constructions in such situations. 'af' does not mean
        the same thing in Norse as in English.

        god is ass, war is ofridr, ok is and, and death is daudi, is
        > that correct? But I can find the Old Norse word for "of". Can
        anyone help me. Thanks.

        Norse has many words for 'war' and 'death'. Remember that you are
        thinking in English and making assumptions about Norse when you ask
        a question like 'can I find the Old Norse word for "of"'. Using your
        coice of words for 'war' and 'death', one could construct the phrase
        as follows: 'goð ófriðar ok dauða'(god of unpeace and death) - but
        this phrase has a very non-Norse ring to it, at least to my ears.

        Regards,
        Konrad.
      • Valek
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 15 2:26 PM
          How would a native Old Icelandic, or Old Norseman say "god of war
          and death"? I'm not attempting to be an Icelandic writer or anything,
          there are just certain words, or phrases that interest me. Do you
          have any suggestions on any books on Icelandic(definitions, proper
          sentence structure, pronunciations,etc) Thanks.