Is anyone here asatru/odinist

  • John Chapman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 27, 2003

      Greetings. I am a new learner of Old Norse and I am intrested in it cheifly because of my religion. I was wondering if anyone else in this group is asatru/odinist and if they could tell me where to find a reliable copy of the eddas that I pick my way through. I know this isn't a strictly language related question but it would be nice to know.

      Thanks

                      John

      Meet Singles

    • Alfta
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 27, 2003

        Greetings. I am a new learner of Old Norse and I am intrested in it cheifly because of my religion. I was wondering if anyone else in this group is asatru/odinist and if they could tell me where to find a reliable copy of the eddas that I pick my way through. I know this isn't a strictly language related question but it would be nice to know.

        Thanks

                        John

        Heill John,

        I consider myself a Heathen (i.e. a follower of Northern European Heathen tradition), but not Asatru or Odinist.  The finer distinction of what that means is beyond the scope of this list so feel free to contact me off list if you wish.  As to texts, our site (see my sig. line) has two complete translations of the Poetic Edda as well as the Prose Edda which you can access in the Northern European Studies Texts section of our site, along with a great deal of other English translations of related material.

        Perhaps of some interest to list members, strictly from a standpoint of illustrating how far English language Eddic studies have come in 200 years, is a recent addition;  the first English language translation of any major portion of the Poetic Edda by A. S. Cottle.

        - Alfta

        Northvegr: The Northern Way

        http://www.northvegr.org

      • Stuntie
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 31, 2003
          For Snorri's Edda get the one translated by Anthony Faulkes - Snorri Sturluson, Edda.

          The poetry may not be very poetical but it is an accurate translation.
          [He also does a copy of The prologue and Gylfaginning in Old Norse for translation as well].

          I have yet to see a version of the poetic edda that was accurate and poetical.
          I have a old one by Henry Adams Bellows that is good - but may be out of print. And Lee Hollander did one that was not too bad (which I had but someone borrowed...).
          W.H. Auden translated some in 'Norse Poems' which may be quite easy to get hold of.

          Cheers
          Stuntie.
[...]

          Sumir hafa kvæði...
          ...aðrir spakmæli.

          - Keth

        • Daniel Bray
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 31, 2003
            I recommend Carolyne Larrington's recent translation of the Poetic Edda (Oxford World Classics Series: 1997?) - it is the most accurate I've seen yet. Hollander's is better at preserving the metre of the poetry, but he sacrifices accuracy in order to do so.

            Dan

            Stuntie wrote:

[...]

            dbray@...
            School of Studies in Religion A20
            University of Sydney NSW 2006 Australia

            "Nobody believes the official spokesman... but everybody trusts an unidentified source." Ron Nesen