Re: A sentence

  • Jens Persson <arnljotr@yahoo.se>
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 21, 2003
      A Swedish translation of
      "Tinnu Ólafsdóttur fæddist barn í gær."
      is
      "Åt Tinna Olavsdotter föddes ett barn i går."
      I compare this to the following sentence
      "Åt honom gavs en racka."
      meaning
      "To him a dog was given."
      This means that 'föddes' in the first sentence and 'gavs' in the
      second are treated in a similar way. I think the key here is
      that 'föddes' here can be thought of as a giving because of the
      dative, which in the Icelandic translation is manifested in 'Tinnu
      Ólafsdóttur' (which, of course, also is the accusative and the
      genitive).
      In Swedish, one must put the preposition 'åt' to get the dative, i.e.
      the giving.

      Another version of the first sentence is
      "Henne ska födas ett barn."
      Here the objective form 'henne' gives 'födas' a giving meaning. I
      believe most swedes would interpret this sentence - at least after
      some thinking (like me) - as
      "She will give birth to a child."
      but many would probably see it as
      "Someone will give birth to a child for her."

      Note:
      In Dalska the sentence would become
      "Tainu Ulåvsduotter fyöddes ien kripp."
      I don't think it's the normal way of saying it :-)
      [Of course, there are women with the surname Olofsdotter - i.e.
      Ulåvsduotter - in Älvdalen since this Norse naming tradition is not
      totally wiped out in central and northern Sweden. I don't know
      where 'Tinna' comes from, but it sounds similar to 'Tina' - 'Taina'
      in Dalska - so I used that name instead]

      /Jens

      --- In norse_course@yahoogroups.com, "fjornir <haukurth@h...>"

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 21, 2003
        Of course, it should be
        "Tainu Ulåvsduotter fyöddes ien kripp i går."
        in Dalska. I forgot the last two words.

        About the Dalska strong masculine noun 'kripp':
        This is a cognate with Icelandic 'kleppur' and Swedish 'klimp'. This
        is what I found about 'klimp' in the internet edition of The
        Dictionary of Swedish Academy:

        .l.α)
        BRUK: (i vissa trakter, vard., skämts.)

        BETYDELSE: litet (knubbigt) barn, baby.

        Pappa Negro bar hem sin klimp igen. SDS 1882, nr 296, s. 2. Han
        kallades .. för klimpen och gullebarn, allt som det föll sig.
        GEIJERSTAM Lillebr. 91 1900. GHT 1956, nr 25, s. 10. jfr: Skall jag i
        denna klimp et guda-belät vörda? GFGYLLENBORG Vitt. 1: 161 (1762
        1795, om ett nyfödt barn).

        Note: Like Icelandic, Dalska has quite generally made the
        assimilation of 'mp' to 'pp'.

        /Jens
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2003
          >> "Tinnu Ólafsdóttur fæddist barn í gær."

          > Literally: To Tinna Ólafsdóttir was born a child yesterday.
          > Properly: Tinna Ólafsdóttir gave birth to a child yesterday.

          Exactly.