Re: Hverr & Hverr & Kvern & Kirna

  • konrad_oddsson
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2002
      --- In norse_course@y..., "jeffco" <jeffco@o...> wrote:
      > I wonder if someone could possibly throw any light on this
      question? I'm trying to find out whether there is any connection
      between hverr, supposedly ON for "kettle", and kirna, which is
      supposed to be ON for "churn".

      > Jean Kelly

      Neither ON "hverr" (m. a kettle, cauldron) or ON "hverr" (m. a hot
      spring) appear to have any meaningful connection with ON "kvern" (f.
      a quern-stone, millstone; quern, handmill. The interogative or
      indefinite pronoun "hverr" is also presumably unconnected. "Hverr"
      in the meaning "kettle" or "cauldron" has E preserved its original
      stem-vowel (E) from proto-Norse, whereas the pronominal "hverr" has
      shifted its stem-vowel from A to E - thus appearing superficially
      related to "hverr" (kettle/cauldron). The feminine "kvern" begins
      with the sound represented by K in Norse, as in other Germanic
      tongues, while "hverr" preserves proto-Norse H. "Kirna" (in the
      meaning "churn") is a feminine, like "kvern", and begins with the
      sound represented by K, thus again suggesting a lack of meaningful
      relation with masculine "hverr" (with proto-Norse H). I hope this
      throws some light on the question.

      Regards,
      Konrad