Modern Icelandic question

  • James R. Johnson
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2002
      I was wondering - does Modern Icelandic have translated versions of American shows such as Star Trek, Star Trek: Next Generation, the other spinoffs, Enterprise, Power Rangers, etc?

      Thanks,

      James
    • Arndís Dúnja
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2002
        Hi James.

        Nope, we do not translate such things. It is even rare that American bestsellers are translated,
        although Danielle Steel and Mary Higgins Clark have been for the past few years ;) We don't
        'translate' movies and television shows, but use Icelandic subtitles. But on a side note I don't
        think that an Icelandic version of Power Rangers would not be the ideal way of learning Old
        Norse ;)

        And for Simon - my name is the very Icelandic Arndís Þórarinsdóttir but I have started to
        call me Arndís Dúnja since many of my friends call me Dúnja. The name is from the novel
        Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky and is generally not used in Iceland. There
        is no female with that name here, but the name is supposedly quite common in Russia and
        Germany. I do not know it's meaning, which is a shame since I go by it! The only thing that
        I know of the word is that in Indonesian 'dunia' is supposed to mean 'The Universe' but
        somehow I doubt that those two words are related ;)

        Cheers!

        Dúnja (Who has been watching too much British television lately ;))

        I was wondering - does Modern Icelandic have translated versions of American shows such as Star Trek, Star Trek: Next Generation, the other spinoffs, Enterprise, Power Rangers, etc?

        Thanks,

        James

        Sumir hafa kvæði...
        ...aðrir spakmæli.

        - Keth

      • fjornir
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 30, 2002
          A few classics in the sci-fi genre have been translated
          including Asimov's "Caves of Steel" and Clarke's
          "Childhood's End" and "Earthlight".

          Watching Star Trek with Icelandic subtitles is a lot of
          fun since the translators tend to be absolutely clueless
          about the sci-fi gooble-dee-gook. My favorite example follows.

          For several shows the phrase "We've dropped out of warp."
          was consistently rendered as "Við slepptum út vörpu."
          Back-translated to English that means "We released a
          trawling net."