NÖFNIN

  • simonfittonbrown@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 2002
      Hi!

      First of all, a big thank you for the new course.

      I'm fascinated by names, and these questions of mine will reflect that!

      djúpauðga - what is the grammatical significance of the GA ending, if any, please?

      What are the other cases of the female name Ólöfu (here seemingly in the accusative)?

      What is the nominative and the exact meaning of Götuskeggja (here acc. pl.?) It seems to be something like Streetbeard (or Gata beard), but surely that can't be right!

      Cheers,

      Simon
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 8, 2002
        Kom heill!

        Thank you for the letter. These are exactly the sort of
        questions I was hoping to get.

        > djúpauðga - what is the grammatical significance of the GA ending,
        > if any, please?

        We have the masculine noun 'auðr' which means 'wealth'
        and an adjective formed from that word 'auðigr' meaning
        'wealthy'.

        The inflexion of 'auðigr' is explained here:

        http://hem.passagen.se/peter9/gram/g_adj_st.html

        > What are the other cases of the female name Ólöfu (here seemingly in the
        > accusative)?

        nom. Ólöf
        acc. Ólöfu
        dat. Ólöfu
        gen. Ólafar

        > What is the nominative and the exact meaning of Götuskeggja (here acc.
        > pl.?) It seems to be something like Streetbeard (or Gata beard), but
        > surely that can't be right!

        Correct on all accounts.

        Götuskeggjar
        Götuskeggja
        Götuskeggjum
        Götuskeggja

        I don't know why they were called Streetbeards :-)