Words peculiar to Scandinavian

  • simonfittonbrown@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2002
      Hi!

      This first word, of course, also exists in Swedish as GAMMAL:

      In Icelandic we have the adjective GAMALL, which then becomes ELDRI/ELSTU in the comparative and superlative.

      What is the etymology of GAMALL, please? It seems to exist only in the Scandinavian languages.

      Similarly, we have the adverb SNEMMA, which then becomes FYRR/FYRST in the comparative and superlative. What is the origin of SNEMMA, please? Anything similar in the other Scandinavian languages?

      Cheers,

      Simon