Re: [norse_course] Re: Oxford Old Norse/Oxford Old Icelandic Dictionaries

  • David James
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 30, 2002

      Dear Folks--

      Another possibility: if you happen to read German (pretty likely, I should think, in this collection of people):  Jan de Vries, Etymologisches Woerterbuch der Altnordischen Sprache.  I think I got that right; the book's home and I'm at the office.  Any how, etymology! Fun. Spiffy cognates from near & far. Very suggestive.

      I don't recall how much it cost me, but it certainly was less than $100--I think around 60, but that was years ago, so by now maybe it is up there after all.

      Happy hunting!

      David James

      PS:  Does anybody know of recordings--tapes, CDs or whatever of passages (esp poetry) in Old Norse using the reconstructed pronunciation?  (I've heard Beintensson receiting with the present-day pronunciation, which isn't what I'm after.  I know Edred Thorsson did some tapes years ago, but don't know which pronunciation he used (though I would expect the reconstructed).

      >From: "rags123us"
      >To: norse_course@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [norse_course] Re: Oxford Old Norse/Oxford Old Icelandic Dictionaries
      >Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:20:21 -0000
      >
      >I posted a similar question a couple of months ago. The general
      >opinion was that these books cost $$$.
      >
      >Recently, from the online second-hand bookstores I bought the one by
      >Zoega for GBP 85 and Cleasby's dictionary for US$ 200! Needless to
      >say it made a big dent in my pocket.
      >
      >Now www.addall.com lists 2 copies of Zoega's dictionary for around 40
      >$ each :-(
      >
      >Raghavan

    • rags123us
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 31, 2002
        > Not any more they don't. Someone snatched them up, it seems. You
        didn't
        > do too badly, according to that site now.
        >
        > (I didn't know about that site. Very neat.)

        I am addicted to this site. No out-of-print book is out of reach!
        This site lists all.

        > Speaking of books, one of the searches I just did ran in to "Old
        > Icelandic: An Introductory Course" by Sigrid Valfels, published by
        Oxford
        > University in 1981. Has anyone seen this, and would you say it's a
        useful
        > book or not?

        Although it is listed in addall, it has been sold already. I would
        also like to know about this book from others. I have seen mixed
        reviews about this book at www.amazon.com. I have been searching for
        this book for quite some time (www.addall.com, are you listening?),
        but if the book is not very useful I can at least console myself :-)

        Apologies if I have sounded more like a bibliomaniac.

        Regards,
        Raghavan