Thorolfr Mostrarskegg

  • Dan Bray
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2002
      Thanks, Haukur, for your help.

      The next passage I'm working on is the account of Thorolfr
      Mostrarskegg's settlement in Landnamabok. The passage says: "En er hann
      kom vestr fyrir Breiðafjórð; þá skaut hann fyrir borð öndvegissúlum
      sínum; þar var skorinn á Þórr."

      I've translated this as: "When he came west to Breiðafjörð; then he
      threw overboard his high-seat pillar; Þórr was carved upon it.".
      However, the sense of the last clause is ambiguous. "skorinn" really
      means "to cut, notch or score", so it's a bit of a stretch to say
      carved, but this is how Turville-Petre sees it. Alternatively, it could
      mean "to call upon, invoke", and this fits the context just as well.
      What do you think?

      Thanks again,
      --
      Daniel Bray
      dbray@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2002
        > The next passage I'm working on is the account of Thorolfr
        > Mostrarskegg's settlement in Landnamabok. The passage says: "En er hann
        > kom vestr fyrir Breiðafjórð; þá skaut hann fyrir borð öndvegissúlum
        > sínum; þar var skorinn á Þórr."
        >
        > I've translated this as: "When he came west to Breiðafjörð; then he
        > threw overboard his high-seat pillar; Þórr was carved upon it.".
        > However, the sense of the last clause is ambiguous. "skorinn" really
        > means "to cut, notch or score", so it's a bit of a stretch to say
        > carved, but this is how Turville-Petre sees it. Alternatively, it could
        > mean "to call upon, invoke", and this fits the context just as well.
        > What do you think?

        To me the clause is unambiguous.

        "When he came west of Breiðafjörðr he ejected his high seat pillars;
        Thor was carved upon them."

        Note that 'vestr fyrir' does not mean 'west to'.
        Also note that the pillars are in plural; the 'um' ending
        on a noun is a sure sign of dative plural.

        There are two ways of disliking poetry; one way is to dislike it, the
        other is to read Pope.
        -- Oscar Wilde
      • Dan Bray
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2002

          Haukur Thorgeirsson wrote:

          To me the clause is unambiguous.

          "When he came west of Breiðafjörðr he ejected his high seat pillars;
          Thor was carved upon them."

          Thanks, I thought that was more appropriate, but there was nothing about "carved" in Zoega or Cleasby...

          Note that 'vestr fyrir' does not mean 'west to'.
          Also note that the pillars are in plural; the 'um' ending
          on a noun is a sure sign of dative plural.

          Oops! I can't believe I missed that!

          Thanks again!
          --
          Daniel Bray
          dbray@...
          School of Studies in Religion A20
          University of Sydney NSW 2006 Australia

        • Brandon Mccormick
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2002
            Name check..
            would Hrimulfr "Rime Wolf (Ice wolf)"
            be acceptable..
            or how would one make a name that is Wolf of the
            North?
            Thanks..
            AMbros

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 5, 2002
              > Name check..
              > would Hrimulfr "Rime Wolf (Ice wolf)"
              > be acceptable..

              Yeah, whatever... mark the 'i' as long though.