Re: [norse_course] Old Icelandic vs. Old Norwegian

  • Dan Bray
    Message 1 of 2 , May 17 7:22 PM
      There is little difference. Old Icelandic or Old Norse was spoken throughout
      Scandinavia (with some dialectical variations) in the Viking Age. The main
      dialectical variation is between West Norse (in Iceland and Norway) and East
      Norse (in Denmark and Sweden). There are two languages spoken in Norway
      today; one is the direct descendant of West Norse, but is only spoken in
      primarily rural areas, and the other, the more common, is descended from
      Danish, from the period (c16th C?) when Norway came under the Danish crown.

      Dan

      offerlammetsblod wrote:

      > I've just started learning Old Norse from this site, and it says that
      > it teaches Old Icelandic. However, I'm curious; what are some of the
      > main differences between Old Icelandic and Old Norwegian? I'm
      > learning Norwegian right now also, and I'm wanting to compare the
      > present day language with that of the Vikings... so I'm just
      > wondering if there's any big differences between O.I. and O.N.
      >
      > Thanks a lot!
      >
      > ~Sal
      >

      > Sumir hafa kvæði...
      > ...aðrir spakmæli.