Re: [norse_course] Pronounciation

  • Heiðrún Bergsdóttir
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 29, 2002
      The word is spelled Ásatrú in Icelandic, and so its pronounced Aw-sah-troo.

      Heiðrún

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 29, 2002
        I know I should be using IPA standards, but I'm still not used to them yet.
        Anyway, since so few can read them, I'm posting it this way for American
        English speakers:

        Ás - pronounced '-ouse' as in 'house' and 'mouse', first syllable is
        stressed
        a - not a long vowel. more like the /e/ in 'her'
        trú - just like the word 'true'
        ar - again like the word 'her', but with the slightest 'ah' sounded

        Try saying - 'HOUSE'-'eh'-'true'-'har' faster and faster until it comes out
        as one word.
        There is no accent on any other syllable than the first, and you should
        notice that it's hard to not stress the first syllable when it's pronounced
        that way.

        This is only for the Icelandic word 'Ásatrúar' because, as far as I know,
        there is no such word in Old Norse, even though it may be linguistically
        correct. We've had onlist discussions about this in the past.

        On the other hand, as a few Icelanders have been keen to point out, if we're
        going to practice in America, we might as well have our own pronunciation
        for it as well, because we won't be actually practicing the Icelandic
        version anyway (more than likely).

        We turned 'Yeshua' into 'Jesus' and that seems to work pretty well for a lot
        of people.

        -Lazarus

        > The word is spelled Ásatrú in Icelandic, and so its pronounced
        Aw-sah-troo.

        > Heiðrún

      • Twm Ffresiar
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 30, 2002
          It would be like a regional dialect, in your opinion?
          Pronouncing it like Vinns/Americans. That would occur
          anyways, in my opinion, if ever anything like O.N. was
          revived for common use.

          Tom

          http://health.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 11 , May 29, 2002
            > I've heard it pronounced on a couple tapes I got of lectures given by
            > British Ring of Troth members as "Ah-sah-true" (i.e., two long a's,
            > pronounced sort of like in "father" and the u pronouned as in the word
            > "true").

            That would be, more or less, correct 13th century pronunciation
            (of a word that was not used back then).

            In the 12th century and earlier the first vowel would have
            been much different, however. It would have been something
            like a nasal version of the vowel in English 'awe'. Maybe
            close to the vowel in French 'dans'.

            In modern times the first vowel is a dipthong similar, indeed,
            to the one in English 'house'.

            The pronunciation of the rest of the word is the same for
            any century.

            > The surprise, to me, after mispronouncing it for years, was
            > that they placed the accent on the first syllable.

            The accent is always on the first syllable in Norse / Icelandic.

          • Jamie Fessenden
            Message 5 of 11 , May 29, 2002
              So, the pronounciation changed a couple times? How do we know what the
              pronounciation was in the 12th century?

              Jamie

            • hfroelandshagen
              Message 6 of 11 , May 30, 2002
                The grafem is the same as used with u-umlauted a's, which would
                produce something similar to English aw in "law". As for changes in
                pronunciation in general, Norwegian has remained conservative in this
                respect, and so the reconstruction is based on combining Norwegian
                and Icelandic. As far as I know, Norwegian institutions are more
                consequent in using the "correct" pronunciation, while on Iceland
                there is a tendency to use a pronunciation close to modern Icelandic.

                Havard

                --- In norse_course@y..., "Jamie Fessenden" <jfessenden@a...> wrote:
                > So, the pronounciation changed a couple times? How do we know what
                the
                > pronounciation was in the 12th century?
                >
                > Jamie

                Service

                Message 7 of 11 , May 31, 2002
                  Okay. Thanks!

                  Jamie

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 1, 2002
                    > As for changes in
                    > pronunciation in general, Norwegian has remained conservative in this
                    > respect, and so the reconstruction is based on combining Norwegian
                    > and Icelandic.

                    That's certainly an oversimplification - but it is true that Icelandic,
                    Faroese and the mainland Scandinavian dialects have preserved different
                    parts of the "original" pronunciation.

                    > As far as I know, Norwegian institutions are more
                    > consequent in using the "correct" pronunciation, while on Iceland
                    > there is a tendency to use a pronunciation close to modern Icelandic.

                    Not 'close to' but 'exactly the same'. As for Norwegian pronunciation
                    (from what I've read of Norwegian ON grammar books) it seems you use
                    a pronunciation based on a mixture of "what's correct" and "what's
                    easy for us to pronounce".

                  • szavost
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 29, 2002
                      --- In norse_course@y..., Haukur Thorgeirsson <haukurth@h...> wrote:
                      > > As for changes in
                      > > pronunciation in general, Norwegian has remained conservative in
                      this
                      > > respect, and so the reconstruction is based on combining
                      Norwegian
                      > > and Icelandic.

                      But don't some Nynorsk and Bokmaal speakers use the French [R], and
                      uhm then there's also the change from [u] to the sound that i dunno
                      really how to transcribe (similar in swedish)?
                      nicky