Can you transate please.

  • Robert Clendinen
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 10, 2002
      Hi, my name is Robert and I need a translation into old Norse. It's very
      hrd to find any translation servers that translate into Norse. I am writing
      a story about vlkodlak going a viking to Britan and The pack leader, in a
      fit of rage, bellows a question at a servant of the Wyrm. To emphasize the
      point that he dosn't understand I hoped to have it writen as he would hear
      it. The question is, "Where is the worm you call master?" (yes that is wOrm
      not wYrm as I wrote before.)

      Incidently, I was a member of a Viking re-enactment group and when I have
      the time I will come back and learn old Norse for myself. Untill then, I
      have friends who may be interested now and I will point them in the
      direction of your site.

      Thanks for any help you can give.
      Robert Clendinen.

      Ps. If anyone can translate the same question into old English, it would
      help the next story I write as it is the same events told from the point of
      view of the vlkodlak.

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 10, 2002
        Hi Robert,
        I am trying to learn myself, and I find it a good excercise
        to try and answer.

        >Hi, my name is Robert and I need a translation into old Norse. It's very
        >hrd to find any translation servers that translate into Norse. I am writing
        >a story about vlkodlak going a viking to Britan and The pack leader, in a
        >fit of rage, bellows a question at a servant of the Wyrm. To emphasize the
        >point that he dosn't understand I hoped to have it writen as he would hear
        >it. The question is, "Where is the worm you call master?" (yes that is wOrm
        >not wYrm as I wrote before.)

        I took, for example, Njål's saga and looked for speach
        that begins with "Hvar er" and ends with a question mark.
        I found two examples examples :

        c. LI, 8: "En hvar er mannfýla sú," segir Gizurr,
        "er þetta hefir logit?"

        c. LXXXVII, 8: Þá spurði Kolbeinn, hvar fé þat væri,
        er hann bauð í leigu undir sik.

        Approximate translation:
        And where is that idiot, says Gizurr, who has made up these lies.
        Then Kolbein asked where the goods might be, which he had
        offered in payment [for the trip].

        Attempt at construction by using the examples:
        -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
        I think c. LI, 8 offers a good starting point,
        because if you replace "mannfýla" (f.) by "ormr" (m.)
        you shall have the question:
        "Hvar er ormr þann er þér kallið ho,fðinga?"
        ???
        What I am especially uncertain about here, is the insertion
        "þann er". I modeled it, as you can see, after "sú er"
        in the example from Njáls saga, but changed from sú
        to þann, which is Acc. masc. instead of Nom. fem.
        I am not quite sure if that is the way it is done.
        I hope Haukr will point out errors, and if he has time,
        perhaps give some hints on the uses of "sá er" - and
        also his view about the meaning of the word "er"
        in this context would be interesting to hear!

        >Incidently, I was a member of a Viking re-enactment group and when I have
        >the time I will come back and learn old Norse for myself. Untill then, I
        >have friends who may be interested now and I will point them in the
        >direction of your site.
        >
        >Thanks for any help you can give.
        >Robert Clendinen.
        >
        >Ps. If anyone can translate the same question into old English, it would
        >help the next story I write as it is the same events told from the point of
        >view of the vlkodlak.

        I agree, it would be interesting to see it in Old English!

        Cheers!

        Keth
      • Jamie Fessenden
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 10, 2002
          Wouldn't it be "Hvar er orminn, er þér kallið ...?" (I'm not sure what
          the word for 'master' is.)

          Jamie

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 11, 2002
            > Attempt at construction by using the examples:
            > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
            > I think c. LI, 8 offers a good starting point,
            > because if you replace "mannfýla" (f.) by "ormr" (m.)
            > you shall have the question:
            > "Hvar er ormr þann er þér kallið ho,fðinga?"
            > ???

            Good attempt, Keth. Two things that need to be
            improved on: 1. The pronoun should be in nominative
            (like 'sú' in the example from Njála) and 2. The
            word 'höfðingi' has a 'j' inserted in the oblique
            cases (i.e. the 'g' is always palatilized).

            "Hvar er ormr sá er þér kallið höfðingja?"

            The other suggestion:

            "Hvar er ormrinn er þér kallið höfðingja?"

            is also valid but it sounds better the other way :-)

            "The worm that" is better expressed by "ormr sá er"
            than with "ormrinn er" but I'm afraid that the latter
            form will be more familiar to those who have broken
            through our six completed lessons.