Re: [norse_course] Digest Number 318

  • BombadilAslan@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2002
      I started going over the early lessons trying to find out how you would use
      names in conjunction with nouns. for example “alfr” means "an Elf" I'm
      trying to create Character names in a book for a race of alien beings that
      formed the factual basis for legends about Elves and I'm gfiving them Norse
      names. The very first Elf in history is called "Alfr" but I'm having trouble
      figuring out how to say "Elf" when "Alfr" means "An Elf" second, his first
      son has his name, but what to call his first daughter? I wanted to use the
      word for "Girl" but I couldn't find an English to norse dictionary that would
      tell me how to decline the word for use as a proper name rather than a word
      that means "A girl" Can anyone help me, since english-Norse dictionaries seem
      to be a bit scarce?
    • Arlie Stephens
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2002
        Hi,

        On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 12:43:15PM -0500, BombadilAslan@... wrote:

        > I started going over the early lessons trying to find out how you would use
        > names in conjunction with nouns. for example alfr means "an Elf" I'm
        > trying to create Character names in a book for a race of alien beings that
        > formed the factual basis for legends about Elves and I'm gfiving them Norse
        > names. The very first Elf in history is called "Alfr" but I'm having trouble
        > figuring out how to say "Elf" when "Alfr" means "An Elf" second, his first
        > son has his name, but what to call his first daughter? I wanted to use the
        > word for "Girl" but I couldn't find an English to norse dictionary that would
        > tell me how to decline the word for use as a proper name rather than a word
        > that means "A girl" Can anyone help me, since english-Norse dictionaries seem
        > to be a bit scarce?

        What makes you think that a person named Alfr should have his name declined
        differently than the same word when used as an ordinary noun meaning elf?

        It sounds like you are confused about the indefinite article. Alfr means
        both "elf" and "an elf" depending on context; basically English makes
        a distinction between the 2 that Icelandic doesn't make. At least, that's
        the simple explanation; I'll leave the complex one for Haukur (whose name
        means "hawk" or "a hawk", by the way).

        At any rate, the word will decline the same way whether or not it's used
        as a name. "The elf" would be different, but only because "the" is a suffix
        (tacked to the end of the word) and declined itself.

        What word are you trying to use for girl? I found a couple in an Icelandic
        dictionary, but I don't know whether they'd have been in use in Old Icelandic.

        --
        Arlie

        (Arlie Stephens arlie@...)
      • betshalom
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2002
          >...Can anyone help me, since english-Norse dictionaries seem
          > to be a bit scarce?

          Well, there's an ON to English Dicionary available, but your right,
          the other way around is hard to find. Nonetheless,
          www.Midhnottsol.org has the Zoëga dictionary available free online.

          http://www.midhnottsol.org/zoega/index002.html

          In fact, I know that they still need help from anyone who can type in
          íslenzku. Although íslenzka er ekki móðurmál mitt, I still edit for
          them. See their site for details on how to complete the online Zoëga
          project.

          Kveðja,
          Thomas

          Pardon the Mið nótt sol plug; it is ON related. Speaking of which,
          are mið nótt and miðnætti used in the same way? Or is one "in the
          middle of the night" and the other "midnight"?