Old Norse Month names

  • Alfta Reginleif
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 15, 2001
      Greetings all,

      Does anyone know what the Old Norse names for the months were?
      I've been able to find a few such as frørmánaðr, Gói, Þorri and
      Gor-mánaðr.

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      -Svanni
    • Stridmann
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 18, 2001
        Dear Svanni!
        This topic was formerly in this list, you can try to seach the old
        messages.
        So, as I know, the names of the months (without any comments) were:

        1. gormánuðr
        2. frermánuðr eða ýlir
        3. hrútmánuðr eða mörsugr
        4. þorri
        5. gói
        6. einmánuðr
        7. gaukmánuðr ok sáðtíð eða harpa
        8. eggtíð ok stekktíð eða skerpla
        9. sólmánuðr ok selmánuðr
        10. heyannir eða ormamánuðr
        11. kornskurðarmánuðr eða tvímánuðr
        12. haustmánuðr

        (info in russian is available here:
        http://norse.narod.ru/calendar/calendar.html)

        That's all. :) You can look also into Snorra Edda, or into the book
        of Árni Björnsson. :)

        Excuse me please for my English.

        P.S. By the way, who know what's with the OCR of the Zoega dictionary?
      • Alfta Reginleif
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 22, 2001
          Greetings!

          Many thanks for posting that. It was very helpful.

          The Zoëga OCR project is going along pretty well. Tom Wolf and
          I are working on it along with a few other volunteers. We have
          over 300 pages in text files now, most of which I have posted at
          the MSR web site:
          http://www.midhnottsol.org/zoega/index.html

          We have taken a break for Yule but we'll be getting back to work
          after the new year on the last 200+ pages.

          By the way if there is anyone that could provide a new scan of a
          few pages that the scans we have for are currupted it would be
          greatly appreciated.

          A great Yule to all!

          -Svanni

          **************

[...]

          ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups
          Unlimited PC-PC calling at Crystal Voice! - Only $1/Mo.
          Download your free 30 day trial. Click here.
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/Gb1xVB/GxbDAA/ySSFAA/GP4qlB/TM
          -----~->

          Sumir hafa kvæði...
          ...aðrir spakmæli.