Old Norse Pronunciation

  • James R. Johnson
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2001

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2001
        Greetings James,

        >I've got a question regarding pronunciation of ON. How does one pronounce
        >'v' and 'ö'? Is the 'ö' like in German? And how do I say all this in ON?

        You can pronounce 'v' as an English 'v' or as an English 'w'.
        The 'ö' is pronounced alike in German and Icelandic. It was not
        used in the Old Icelandic period - we use it in this course to
        represent a hooked o, pronounced not unlike the vowel in 'cause'
        - but short rather than long.

        Try Óskar's article for more detail:

        http://www.hi.is/~haukurth/norse/articles/pronunc.html

        In Old Norse 'all this' is 'allt þetta' ;)

        Regards,
        Haukur
      • James R. Johnson
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 21, 2003
          Heill,
          I'm going back through the lessons, trying to re-familiarize myself with ON, and would like to know if there's a pronunciation guide somewhere on the Net, so I can know I'm speaking ON correctly.  Should I pronounce ö, oe, and ø like German ö?  And æ like Old English æ?

          Thanks in advance,

          James