Re: [norse_course] Runes

  • Grnwlt@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 18, 2001
      Hi
      My name is Paula. I have just become acquanted with the Norse/Viking
      culture and I am trying to learn it.

      I am interested in the Runes. I have a book called Fulkhart Rune Magic
      but right now it doesnt really make a lot of sense to me. I understand
      the Runes and what they mean but the other is a little confusing right
      now.

      Where is the Runes on your website? I could not find it. Or am I
      overlooking it?

      Paula
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 18, 2001
        > Where is the Runes on your website? I could not find it.
        > Or am I overlooking it?

        You click on 'Runes' from the main page.

        http://www.hi.is/~haukurth/norse/

        I intend to put up a short guide on the
        phonetic value of the runes soon.
        Whether the book "Futhark Magic" contains
        such a guide I do not know.

        Regards,
        Haukur
      • Grnwlt@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 18, 2001
          Yes it does. This book is called the Rune Magic Handbook by Edred
          Thorsson. I got it off of Amazon.com. But what I am finding is
          difference in translations on websites and books. So it is hard for a
          beginner to know the difference

          Paula
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 18, 2001
            > Yes it does. This book is called the Rune Magic Handbook by Edred
            > Thorsson. I got it off of Amazon.com. But what I am finding is
            > difference in translations on websites and books. So it is hard for a
            > beginner to know the difference

            I actually do have that book. My mother, for some
            reason I have yet to fathom, gave it to me a few
            years ago.

            As I remember it most of the book is esoterica
            invented by (or "revealed to") modern authors
            and added to by the author's own imagination.

            He does have a lot of correct information, though,
            and he makes some attempt to list the phonetic
            value of runes. His book, however, is not intended
            for a language student and he mostly deals with
            the runic alphabet (futhark) of the pre-Viking period.

            Regards,
            Haukur/Haukr/HaukR/*HabukaR
          • Grnwlt@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 18, 2001
              Thanks for the information as this is the book. Now I have trouble with
              it as all these big words that I cant even pronounce. LOL

              I get confused with the different cultures and Runes and the Vikings.
              Maybe you can help me as I get two translations on everything on the
              web. LOL

              First my gr grandmother was AngloSaxon and Swedish. And her husband was
              a highlander from Scotland. Now I know the Scottish side that is easy.
              But I am getting confused with this Anglo Saxon and Swedish as to wether
              they are part of the Norse/Viking culture. There is so many
              translations I am finding as they are Viking and then they are not.
              Help!! LOL
            • Tyranese
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 18, 2001
                For those of you who have that book by Edred Thorsson,
                he also wrote another that goes into some good deatil
                on the history of Runes, and the different futharks.
                It's a really great book entitled "Runelore".

                http://personals.yahoo.com
              • Elaine Blakely
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 18, 2001
                  Greetings from Cincinnati,

                  Actually, there's a better book:  Rune Song by Edred Thorsson.  This book includes an audio tape of Edred speaking the rune names and performing some galdar.  The book and tape are available from Runa-Raven Press.  They have an on-line catalogue but I don't remember the address.  You should be able to do a search around Rune Gild or Runa-Raven Press to find it.

                  Elaine Blakely
                  -
                • Grnwlt@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 18, 2001
                  • A. Cheak
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 19, 2001
                      Dear Haukur, list,

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 19, 2001
                        In a message dated 10/18/01 4:20:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time, grey_eyes@... writes:
                        Actually, there's a better book:  Rune Song by Edred Thorsson.  This book includes an audio tape of Edred speaking the rune names and performing some galdar

                        I have it and while I like much of his "Runic Trilogy" I was mediocre in my response to 'Runesong'. I'm not an expert but it sounded like he was using mult dialects in the same poem...
                        FriðR,
                        PTD

                      • Olaf The Balding
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 19, 2001
                          Sorry people, can't get on with Edred's books. Too much comtrediction throughout them.
                          Actually, there's a better book:  Rune Song by Edred Thorsson.  This book includes an audio tape of Edred speaking the rune names and performing some galdar

                          I have it and while I like much of his "Runic Trilogy" I was mediocre in my response to 'Runesong'. I'm not an expert but it sounded like he was using mult dialects in the same poem...
                          FriðR,
                          PTD

                          Sumir hafa kvæði...
                          ...aðrir spakmæli.

                          - Keth

                        • James Stonehouse
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 19, 2001
                            Hi,

                            If you've ever tried to read Green Runa [Thorsson], you'll know just how convoluted and psychobabble filled he can be. Actually it sounds alot like alot of the bad stuff that passes for philosophy out there these days... - complete with sentences that stretch out to the cracks of doom without really making any kind of a point. [no seriously much longer than my sentences!]
                            cheers, James.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 15, 2005
                              Hi everybody,
                              can someone help me to find those lessons about runes history posted by Konrad
                              Ólsson a few (unfortunately!) years ago please? The title of the lessons
                              was "Konrad's runes". I had a trouble with my PC and they got lost. Thanks!

                              Diego
                            • Engill Sig-Tyr rún
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 15, 2005
                                Heill ok Sæll to everyone
                                I would like those lessons too. :D

                                Cheers and thanks in advance

                                Engill

                                On 4/15/05, diego ferioli <diego.ferioli@...> wrote:
                                Hi everybody,
                                can someone help me to find those lessons about runes history posted by Konrad
                                Ólsson a few (unfortunately!) years ago please? The title of the lessons
                                was "Konrad's runes". I had a trouble with my PC and they got lost. Thanks!

                                Diego

                                Yahoo! Groups Links

                                --
                                Engill