Re: [norse_course] Digest Number 233

  • GandalfRansom@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2001
      Thank you for youre information. I was doing an Etymology of the norse name
      Alfdis which a name database says means spirit, but the name didn't
      translate. I found Andi which is the word for Spirit in a Norse dictionary
      with nop indication as to how to decline it other than that it is a weak
      masculine noun. I put it through the Icelandic dictionary and came up with
      several additional words that mean the same or related things like "Phantom"
      and character" Brenndur drykkur also means spirit, but there is never any
      indsication as to how to use these words. I'm trying to come up with a name
      for a female character, but should I only use feminine word elements for
      feminine names?

      In a message dated 9/1/01 5:55:48 AM, norse_course@yahoogroups.com writes:

      Sumir hafa kvædi...
      ...adrir spakmæli.

      - Keth

      There are 2 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Iclelandic-English dictionary
      From: GandalfRansom@...
      2. Re: Iclelandic-English dictionary
      From: Selvarv Stigard <selvarv@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 13:55:12 -0000
      From: GandalfRansom@...
      Subject: Iclelandic-English dictionary

      I've been on the web searching for a dixctionary that translates both
      ways, and all I can find is Icelandic-English. How can I look up an
      Iclandic word when I don't know its english equivalent?

      Message: 2
      Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 10:29:32 -0700
      From: Selvarv Stigard <selvarv@...>
      Subject: Re: Iclelandic-English dictionary

      GandalfRansom@... wrote:
      >I've been on the web searching for a dixctionary that translates both
      >ways, and all I can find is Icelandic-English. How can I look up an
      >Iclandic word when I don't know its english equivalent?

      Here's one which, like others, uses modern Icelandic, but hey, it's better
      than the number of Modern English to Old Icelandic dictionaries out there
      (none, for obvious reasons):

      http://www.tranexp.com:2000/InterTran

      InterTran has several advantages over most online dictionary programs I've
      seen:

      It will go in either direction between any two languages in its list of
      twenty-odd languages.
      It can handle multiple words at a time, but doesn't pretend that it's
      translating sentences.
      It offers multiple possible translations for each word.

      The main disadvantage is that you can't just browse the entries, which is
      often the easiest way to find a root word.

      -Selv

      --
      Selvårv Stigård
      selvarv@...