Re: [norse_course] Iclelandic-English dictionary

  • Selvarv Stigard
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2001
      GandalfRansom@... wrote:
      >I've been on the web searching for a dixctionary that translates both
      >ways, and all I can find is Icelandic-English. How can I look up an
      >Iclandic word when I don't know its english equivalent?

      Here's one which, like others, uses modern Icelandic, but hey, it's better
      than the number of Modern English to Old Icelandic dictionaries out there
      (none, for obvious reasons):

      http://www.tranexp.com:2000/InterTran

      InterTran has several advantages over most online dictionary programs I've
      seen:

      It will go in either direction between any two languages in its list of
      twenty-odd languages.
      It can handle multiple words at a time, but doesn't pretend that it's
      translating sentences.
      It offers multiple possible translations for each word.

      The main disadvantage is that you can't just browse the entries, which is
      often the easiest way to find a root word.

      -Selv

      --
      Selvårv Stigård
      selvarv@...