Iclelandic-English dictionary

  • GandalfRansom@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31 6:55 AM
      I've been on the web searching for a dixctionary that translates both
      ways, and all I can find is Icelandic-English. How can I look up an
      Iclandic word when I don't know its english equivalent?
    • Selvarv Stigard
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 31 10:29 AM
        GandalfRansom@... wrote:
        >I've been on the web searching for a dixctionary that translates both
        >ways, and all I can find is Icelandic-English. How can I look up an
        >Iclandic word when I don't know its english equivalent?

        Here's one which, like others, uses modern Icelandic, but hey, it's better
        than the number of Modern English to Old Icelandic dictionaries out there
        (none, for obvious reasons):

        http://www.tranexp.com:2000/InterTran

        InterTran has several advantages over most online dictionary programs I've
        seen:

        It will go in either direction between any two languages in its list of
        twenty-odd languages.
        It can handle multiple words at a time, but doesn't pretend that it's
        translating sentences.
        It offers multiple possible translations for each word.

        The main disadvantage is that you can't just browse the entries, which is
        often the easiest way to find a root word.

        -Selv

        --
        Selvårv Stigård
        selvarv@...