Tutti frutti...

  • Tim Stridmann
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 28, 2001
      Hi all!
      Thank you very much, Haukur and Óskar! :))) I am so glad that you are
      continue your great work with Old Norse Course!

      I have some questions to all:

      1) What do you think about using of english translation (as help) for
      translation of old icelandic sagas? To russian, I mean.

      2) About OCR of Zoëga dictionary. I think, it's better to begin every
      line from new <P> tag. Isn't it? We can to remove interline space for
      <P> with CSS, etc.

      3) bakborð in "Frá Fornjóti" - I've transtated it as "back board" =
      stern. But it seems, bakborð is LEFT (or RIGHT, I don't remember
      exactly) side of a ship!

      4) Word database (if I understood this rightly). Which database
      engine do you plan to use? I think, structure of database could be:
      WORD C 32 (32 characters, or longer)
      PART C 1 ('N' for noun, 'A' for adjective, 'V' for verb, etc.)
      TYPE C 4 - this field depends on PART field. It can
      be 'MA'=masculine a-stem, 'FI'=feminine i-stem, etc. for
      nouns; 'S1'=strong declension, 1st type for verb, etc, etc, etc.
      EXT C 1 - extended info (is last 'r' the part of root, etc.)
      May be, all this are stupid things? tell me please...

      5) I wanted to ask something, but I forgot... :)

      My best wishes,
      Tim
    • Craig Davis
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 28, 2001
        Perhaps because the design of Nordic ships put the rudder on one side of the
        ship? I am told the term starboard came from steer-board so perhaps this is
        why the other side would be the back-board? I'm only speculating of
        course....

        -Craig

      • falconsword@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 30, 2001
          Hi, Tim!

          Do you live in Kiev?

          >1) What do you think about using of english translation (as help)
          >for translation of old icelandic sagas? To russian, I mean.

          There are some good English translations around,
          I suppose they could serve as aids.

          >2) About OCR of Zoëga dictionary. I think, it's better to begin
          >every line from new <P> tag. Isn't it? We can to remove interline
          >space for <P> with CSS, etc.

          Personally I prefer <div> to <p> every time;
          it's more consistantly interpreted by the
          various clients.

          >3) bakborð in "Frá Fornjóti" - I've transtated it as "back board" =
          >stern. But it seems, bakborð is LEFT (or RIGHT, I don't remember
          >exactly) side of a ship!

          I'm completely out of my league when it
          comes to the vocabulary of sailing but as
          I understand it:

          bakborð = backboard = the left side when looking forward
          stjórnborð = starboard = the right side when looking forward

          >4) Word database (if I understood this rightly). Which database
          >engine do you plan to use? I think, structure of database could be:
          >WORD C 32 (32 characters, or longer)
          >PART C 1 ('N' for noun, 'A' for adjective, 'V' for verb, etc.)
          >TYPE C 4 - this field depends on PART field. It can
          >be 'MA'=masculine a-stem, 'FI'=feminine i-stem, etc. for
          >nouns; 'S1'=strong declension, 1st type for verb, etc, etc, etc.
          >EXT C 1 - extended info (is last 'r' the part of root, etc.)
          >May be, all this are stupid things? tell me please...

          I don't know. Something like that I suppose.
          When I edit the texts in the 'Reader' on the
          Website I use these attributes:

          Word POS Form Dict. form Meaning English cognate

          >5) I wanted to ask something, but I forgot... :)

          Hvárt vegr Óláfr orminn?

          Regards,
          Haukur
        • Tim Stridmann
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 31, 2001
            Verit heil!

            Haukur, we are waiting on new NorseToons!!! They're very funny, I
            like them... :) But I think, you can to make something "harder",
            something like short dialogs in Old Norse... (Not so simple, as in
            the course.) Anyway, I want to make something for my page...

            > Do you live in Kiev?

            I live in Berdyansk, this is small town on the south of Ukraine, on
            the Azov Sea shore... province... :)

            > I'm completely out of my league when it
            > comes to the vocabulary of sailing but as
            > I understand it:
            >
            > bakborð = backboard = the left side when looking forward
            > stjórnborð = starboard = the right side when looking forward

            Thank you very much! But I want to complete the translation of "The
            Book of Icelanders", then I'll return to Fornjot.

            > >5) I wanted to ask something, but I forgot... :)
            >
            > Hvárt vegr Óláfr orminn?

            Ek veit ekki. :) May be, let ormr vegr Óláf? Visit, please,
            http://www.greenpeace.org ;)))))

            My best wishes,
            Tim
          • Tim Elario
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 6, 2001
              If the bakborð is the steering board (starboard comes from shortening
              "steering board") then it will be on the right side of the boat/ship as you
              look forward. When in dock (parked), a ship would have the steering board
              away from the dock so that it would not be damaged and the left side towards
              port. As I remember it, left and port both have 4 letters in English. Gotta
              love ethmology. I don't know anything about sailing either, just enjoy
              knowing usless information.

              -Arnurdth