RE: [norse_course] álfr

  • Paul David Hansen
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2013
      Rudolf, the Red nosed (reindeer?)

      -----Original Message-----
      From: norse_course@yahoogroups.com [mailto:norse_course@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Brian M. Scott
      Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 3:42 AM
      To: Sygyrd Sygyrdson
      Subject: Re: [norse_course] álfr

      At 3:24:58 PM on Monday, October 7, 2013, Sygyrd Sygyrdson
      wrote:

      > So on a lighter note, how would you read the following?

      > Hróðulfr Rauðnefrinn

      In my (fairly extensive) experience, Old Norse bynames that are nouns
      virtually never have the definite article; it’s found only in adjectival
      bynames, like <(h)inn rauði> 'the red' and <(h)inn heppni> 'the lucky'.
      Thus, the byname would be simply <rauðnefr> 'red-nose'.

    • sygyrd
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2013
        Thanks! Just the thing I needed to know Brian. Aside from the article, I've got it though, right? Woot!