Re: [norse_course] álfr

  • Sygyrd Sygyrdson
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2013
      Thanks for the help everyone.  Sorry for the late reply.   I need to fix my notification preferences I think.  So on a lighter note, how would you read the following?

      Hróðulfr Rauðnefrinn

      Is there a better way to write it and still keep that ON feel?
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2013
        At 3:24:58 PM on Monday, October 7, 2013, Sygyrd Sygyrdson
        wrote:

        > So on a lighter note, how would you read the following?

        > Hróðulfr Rauðnefrinn

        In my (fairly extensive) experience, Old Norse bynames that
        are nouns virtually never have the definite article; it’s
        found only in adjectival bynames, like <(h)inn rauði> 'the
        red' and <(h)inn heppni> 'the lucky'. Thus, the byname would
        be simply <rauðnefr> 'red-nose'.

        Brian
      • Paul David Hansen
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 8, 2013
          Rudolf, the Red nosed (reindeer?)

          wrote:

          > So on a lighter note, how would you read the following?

          > Hróðulfr Rauðnefrinn

          In my (fairly extensive) experience, Old Norse bynames that are nouns
          virtually never have the definite article; it’s found only in adjectival
          bynames, like <(h)inn rauði> 'the red' and <(h)inn heppni> 'the lucky'.
          Thus, the byname would be simply <rauðnefr> 'red-nose'.

        • sygyrd
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 8, 2013
            Thanks! Just the thing I needed to know Brian. Aside from the article, I've got it though, right? Woot!